Chapter 25

Phil's POV + Meteor Shower - Owl City

My phone begins to ring at the time we had assigned earlier. I tilt my phone away from Dan so he won't see Pj calling me.

"Yeah, okay, I can be there in ten minutes." I pause while Pj tells me where to meet him at, the park across from our apartment complex.

"Make up some reason you have to leave so Dan isn't suspicious. We can't have him find out." Pj slightly mumbles his words so that Dan won't hear him through the phone. I turn towards Dan, quickly thinking of an excuse to leave. The radio show! We haven't been there in a while, right? They must want one of us to come in. It'll probably work. Most likely. Dan trusts me enough to not question it. Doesn't he?

"Do you think that you're well enough to go to the radio show?"

Please say no. Please say no. Please say no.

He gives me a quick shake of the head before groaning from what I'm assuming is his hangover. I exhale softly because of him not being able to go. For the first time ever, I'm actually happy Dan drank too much.

I fake explain to the radio show that Dan is sick and can't come in today. I hang up with Pj and turn towards Dan to give him my false reason that I have to leave.

"The radio station needs me to come in. It'll only be two hours I promise. I love you." I quickly put on my jacket and shoes, then give Dan a kiss before leaving the house. I exhale louder this time in relief.

Step one: Done.

My legs shake the entire walk to the park. So many things could go wrong, but I try to avert my thoughts away from those. One giant thing could go right. I pray it does. A small smile shows on my face at the thought of what I'm doing right now. My body becomes filled with excitement instead of fear. Happiness instead of anxiousness. Suddenly I know I'm ready. I know this is what I'm supposed to be doing.

Pj sees me walking in and starts his way over to me. I suppose he noticed my shaking because he tries to cheer me up.

"It's going to be okay, Phil. Trust me. He loves you a lot. It's all going to work out for the best." He lightly pats me on the back. He's probably right. Dan does love me, or at least I think so.

Phil! What're you thinking! Of course he loves you! If he didn't, he wouldn't have taken you back. Let alone get a tattoo of your initials!

The image of his new tattoo flashes in my mind, making me smile even more. Pj and I walk to the shops side by side, making small talk about the situation along the way. I have been keeping Chris and Pj updated on Dan ever since the video a while back, not telling them the gorey details. I would just give them a general idea so that they could make sure Dan is okay. They're really worried about him considering he hasn't really talked to anyone but me in a long time.

I pause in front of the small jewelry store. "I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to this." I whisper to Pj with anxiety once again filling my tone.

"That's why I'm here. You're not the first friend I've helped with this kind of stuff." His voice is much calmer and smoother than mine.

We both soon after walk into the store. Almost immediately, a woman comes over to help us out.

"What can I help you two out with today?" Her voice is cheery and high pitched. After spending all my time with Dan lately, it's weird to hear someone else's voice for a change. Especially a girls' voice.

"Umm, uh." I stutter and shake at the fact that this is really happening. This is all actually happening. I can't tell if I'm happy or scared or excited or nervous and I guess Pj could sense that because he spoke up for me.