6

daphne

"daphne are you alright sweetheart?" i hear my mom ask through the door.

i sniffle a bit and wipe away my tears with the sleeves of my shirt.

"yeah, just tired." i say.

she walks in with a tray with two cups of tea and sandwiches. she smiles at me and lays down next to me.

i immediately hug her and feel comfort from her warmth and the sound of her heartbeat.

hugs from my mom will always be special.

"do you- do you think i'm gaining weight?" i ask carefully.

"why are you asking about that?" she asks.

i sigh as i think about alex try to apologize today in school. saying that he liked his girls a bit more curvy anyways. like that will take back that feeling of eating like an animal compared to other girls.

"just asking."

"it better not be some stupid boy." she mumbles and strokes my hair.

"you can take advice and trust people's opinions, if those people are relevant. but honey, life is so much more than living up to teenage boys expectations. don't waste these happy and free teenage years on worrying what you're body looks like." she smiles.

"i'm 45 years old, do you think that my stomach poking out in a picture or me having a big unhealthy meal sometimes really matters to me now? i met your dad and we created our beautiful family. that's what matters."

"thanks mom." i smile and hug her tighter.

"here have some tea, it's your favorite." she says.

ੈ✩‧₊˚

i smile as i see sophia and immediately hug her when she's close enough.

"i missed you, you can't leave me alone in school like that." she whines and i laugh.

"i just had to rest for a bit." i smile weakly.

"i totally understand. do you want to hang out later? my family is ordering home food."

"sure." i smile and after that we walk to class.

ੈ✩‧₊˚

"daphne honey, i've barely seen you recently." mrs. adler says and hugs me.

"i know, i've been here before you've gotten home from work."

"well you're here now and i want to hear everything about your life."

"any boys in your life?" she asks and place some food on my plate.

i quickly make eye contact with aiden and think back on our last conversation.

"no, i'm focused on more important things. you know school and cheerleading." i nod.

"right you're a cheerleader. are you excited about that contest?" she asks.

in two months the basketball team and us cheerleaders are going away on a basketball tournament three hours from here.

"yeah it'll be fun. i like the girls and the team is alright." i say and try some of the food.

"well we're planning on driving up there to watch some games." mr. adler says.

"it'll be so fun." sophia says.

ੈ✩‧₊˚