Chapter 29: The Final Battle

(Hokage Tower; Two Years Later)

"Naruto, are you done filing those reports from Suna?" Shizune asked, setting another large stack of papers down next to the tired looking shinobi. "Because if you are I need you to take these papers to Kakashi right away. Hopefully this will be the last batch for today."

"Sure thing Shizune, I'll get right on it." Naruto said in an exhausted tone. The blonde jinchuriki had been up since five in the morning, and it was already well into the afternoon. Hinata would likely be preparing dinner soon. Naruto began to drool slightly as he envisioned himself eating one of Hinata's delicious home cooked meals. Unfortunately the tower had been unusually busy that day, keeping Naruto and Shizune constantly busy and moving.

"Thank you Naruto. You've been such a big help." Shizune said with a warm smile, as she slumped down into a nearby chair. "We've been absolutely slammed lately, and there's been little time to relax. Once you're done you can head on home. Your family is probably waiting for you." Releasing a light sigh, Shizune longingly gazed down at ring on her finger. When Shizune next spoke her voice was barely above a whisper. "It's been all work lately...we haven't had much time to spend together."

"Have you and Kakashi-sensei had any luck with...you know...having a baby?" Naruto asked, picking up the stack of papers. The blonde was immediately caught off guard by the paper's weight and nearly dropped them, but he managed to recover just before the stack toppled over. "Because I know you've been trying a lot lately."

"Yeah...we've been trying...but we haven't had any luck yet." Shizune replied, as a slight blush spread across her face. The dark-haired woman avoided Naruto's gaze and stared down at her lap. "All this work lately hasn't been helping either. By the time Kakashi gets home at night he's too tired to do anything intimate. I don't blame him though, because he does work all day. But...it's just a little frustrating, you know?"

"I understand." Naruto said, smiling brightly at Shizune. "Just hang in there, all this work will blow over eventually. When it does you and Kakashi-sensei will have more time to be alone together. Well I better get these to Kakashi-sensei."

"Thanks again, Naruto." Shizune said quietly, as she played with the ring on her finger. "I always make you listen to my problems."

"It's no problem Shizune." Naruto said, opening the door to the room with his foot. "I like helping wherever I can, and if talking to me helps you I'm happy to listen." Flashing Shizune one last toothy grin, Naruto exited the small office.

"Honestly..." Shizune muttered, as a small smile graced her face. "That boy is too nice for his own good." Releasing a light sigh, Shizune looked up at ceiling and closed her eyes. "Kushina...Minato...you would be so proud of your little boy. He's grown up to be such a great young man, and he's the pride of the village. We're forever in his debt for all the things he's done for us."

(Two Minutes Later; Hokage's Office)

"Kakashi-sensei! I've got some more paperwork for you, so I'm coming right in!" Naruto called out, forcing the door to Kakashi's office with his shoulder. When Naruto entered the office, he saw an exhausted looking Kakashi lazily stamping a piece of paper on his desk. The silver-haired hokage had visible bags under his eyes and looked as if he would pass out any minute. "Sorry Kakashi-sensei but I got one more stack for you. But the good news is that Shizune said this was the last of today's paperwork."

"Thank kami, set it down on my desk." Kakashi said, as he ran a hand down his face. "I swear this huge influx of work is gonna be the death of me."

"You and me both." Naruto groaned out, sinking into one of the chairs in front of Kakashi's desk. "I know all of this is apart of my hokage training, but all this desk work is a fucking nightmare. I don't know how Tsunade-baachan and the other hokage did it."