Chapter six | Michael

Michael

Fuck, she woke up.

That shouldn't have happened.

I took a deep breath and stepped out of the bathroom.

She was so damn cute, clutching a tiny teddy bear in her arms, her black hair all messy.

I couldn't help myself, I took a few steps closer to her bed.

Her eyes were half-open, but I couldn't see her face clearly, the only source of light in the room was the dim glow from the bathroom.

"Sleep," I mumbled in a low voice.

She shook her head.

"N-no sleepy."

Little liar.

I smirked under my mask and kneeled down beside her bed, gently grazing her cheek.

Her skin was so soft.

"Why are you awake, Jennie?" She frowned and looked down.

I placed two fingers under her chin, raising her head.

"Answer," I ordered, still keeping my voice calm.

She didn't respond.

Instead, her little hands reached for the hem of my mask, trying to pull it off.

"Jennie!" I growled, and she flinched.

I hadn't meant to scare her, but I couldn't let her see my face, not yet, anyway.

I brushed the hair out of her face.

"T-thank y-you," she mumbled, still holding the edge of my mask.

I really hope she liked the shoes I got her.

Call me weird, but yes, I knew her shoe size from the background check Timmy ran for me.

"Next time you want something, write it down on a note, and I'll buy it for you." A big smile spread across her face as she nodded.

"Y-you are s-so kind, M-Mr. Thief," she said shyly.

"Michael. Call me Michael."

Fuck, why did I say that? I couldn't help it.

As much as I liked her cute nickname for me, I wanted her to know my real name, to know the person who came into her room every damn night after work just to watch her sleep peacefully.

Before I knew it, she wrapped her arms around my neck, hugging me tightly.

I froze.

I had no idea what to do or how to react.

I hadn't been hugged like this since my parents died.

I lost them when I was very young.

Nobody wanted me, not my uncles, not my aunts, not even my grandparents.

I still don't know why, but I'll never forgive them.

They made my life hell, and I made them pay for it.

Sometimes I wonder if one of them had taken me in, would my life be different?

Would I still be a drug dealer, a thief, a fucking gangster?

She gasped and quickly released me from the hug.

"S-sorry, Mr.Bubbles. D-didn't mean to squish y-you," she whispered, kissing the teddy bear's head.