Chapter thirty four | Shelly

Shelly

I couldn't sleep for the past week. I could barely muster the strength to get out of bed.

What's wrong with me?

I could be wrong, but it can't be a coincidence. The same name, the same piercing green eyes. Jennifer, my little baby. I missed her.

She had the most innocent features, her delicate face and wide, trusting eyes that always seemed to be filled with wonder.

She grew up to be a beautiful woman, with a glossy black hair and those same eyes. My baby girl. I never expected to meet her again like this after ten years.

I sighed as I pushed my plate of food away. I didn't have an appetite for anything.

"What's wrong, Fiore?" my husband Lorenzo asked, cutting through my thoughts. (Flower)

"Nothing, just tired," I mumbled, looking away. He knows that I have a daughter, but he doesn't like it when I mention her. It reminds him of my ex-husband.

He put his hand on top of mine.

"You haven't eaten properly for the past few days. Do you need me to call a doctor for you, Amore mio?" he asked. (My love)

I shook my head. "No, no, I'm okay," I said, faking a smile. "Did Michael call you?"

He took a sip from his wine. "No, the fucking bastard. If I didn't help him that day, he would've been dead by now, and look how he repays me."

I sighed. "Give him time, my love. He is a good kid."

Lorenzo shook his head, clenching his jaw. "It's all because of that stupid whore he brought with him."

My breathing picked up.

Jennifer, what did you get yourself into.

Out of all the men in the world, she chose Michael. I can't even tell if his feelings for her are genuine or just passing fancy.

"We don't even know if he is serious about her," I uttered.

"Serious or not, she should be killed as soon as possible."

"NO!" I blurted out. He can't kill her.

"Shelly, I know you don't like it when I kill innocent people, but I have to. She hinders him," he said.

I needed to stop him, even if I had to tell him the truth. "You can't kill her, Enzo."

"Why? What are you trying to say, woman?" he snapped.

That's why I'm wary of provoking his anger. When he's enraged, he even seems to forget his affection for me. There have been moments when he lashed out in reflex, yet despite the pain, I couldn't muster the courage to walk away. He's the man I adore.

"I sacrificed everything, my daughter, a husband who worshipped the ground I walked on. Just to be with this man."

"FUCKING TALK, MICHELLE!" he shouted.

I flinched at the sudden change in his tone.

"Because... because she.." I couldn't bring myself to say it. I hadn't mentioned her for ten years.

Ten years...

"My daughter," I said in a small voice.

"YOUR FUCKING WHAT?"
I took a long breath.

"I think... she is my daughter."

"What the hell?" a voice said from the door of the dining room.