Prologue

[Y/n's PoV]

The trees sway back and forth, back and forth... the sounds of wind in their branches is a pleasant reminder of the passage of time. In this moment, it is almost enough to make one want to stand firm, unmoving, forever...

My fingers feel the cold of the windowpane with every brush of the air as I looked at the birds chirping on a tree branch. My mind wanders about my upcoming research, and the scenery in front of me.

These birds that sing without any particular purpose, these trees that sway in the wind without any particular purpose, time that marches forever forward without any particular purpose...

To devote oneself to such things, to study and analyze them and to draw conclusions that will never see the light of day...

Such pointless, useless endeavors.

Yet at the same time, these things will never cease to fascinate me. The birds may sing without reason, but my curiosity about the reason behind the seasonality of their song is endless.

The trees may move without purpose, but there must be a cause for every motion, however subtle.

And time... time never ends. It simply continues to march relentlessly onward, and who am I to stand against such a vast tide?

To pursue the truth behind such things, the reason for which they exist and the way they act, is an endless pursuit.

I will never see the end of it.

And yet, it is precisely this pursuit that gives meaning to my life.

To devote yourself wholeheartedly to something that will never be finished, to give your all in pursuit of something that will never be achieved...

That is true devotion.

Now then, putting that aside, do I even need an introduction?

*Sigh*

My name is Y/n, I am currently a top scholar in Vahumana, one of the Six Darshans, the six main schools of Sumeru Akademiya.

It's specialized in aetiology, the study of causation or origination of phenomena, and includes disciplines such as history and social sciences.

It is an area of study that delves into the whys and the wherefores of historical events, seeking to uncover the true roots of incidents and their causes.

However, aetiology serves not only as a window into the past, but also as the key to understanding the present and anticipating the future.

It may seem a rather useless pursuit, examining the origins and causes of various phenomenon, but a thorough understanding of the past ultimately allows us to make better decisions in the present, paving the way for a brighter future.

Every event that occurs in the world has a reason behind it, a reason that led to its existence.

In that sense, it is the pursuit of truth itself- to seek the reason behind every phenomenon, no matter how mundane or inconsequential.

In a way, one could argue that aetiology is the purest form of research. It is a discipline that searches for truth in its purest form, untainted by any personal bias or agenda.

Through an understanding of causality, we can gain insight into the nature of the world around us and gain a deeper understanding of the factors that shape it.

For example, let us consider the example of rain.

Is it merely the result of the water vapor in the atmosphere condensing and falling back to the ground as raindrops?