Chapter 19: Old Scars

[Y/n's PoV]

Upon entering the tavern, I immediately noticed the loud voices of the drunkards in the tavern and saw my father already deep into his drinks.

I couldn't see the faces of the other drunkards who were sitting there with him, other than knowing that they had been there for an equally long time and were probably as drunk as my father was right now.

Tsk, this entire environment just reeked of alcohol.

Without much thought, I immediately approached him before heavily punching him in the face.

"You bastard! Our mother is on her death bed yet here you are having the time of your life!"

He fell to the ground from the force of my punch, and immediately got back up and started yelling back at me. His face was red from anger as he kept drinking heavily, seemingly unconcerned how much alcohol he was drinking, and the other drunkards were only watching the scene happen without interfering.

"What did you just say!? Why don't you mind your own damn business, girl?!"

I clenched my fist, my knuckles turning white.

"Tch, are you really that drunk, or are you really that dumb to not be able to identify your own daughter?!"

However my father just scowled upon hearing that, as he tried to take a step towards me; he was so intoxicated that his movements were slow and clumsy, which made it quite easy to avoid his attempt to attack me.

"Hah! As if I'd recognize my own daughter when I see her. I don't think I could even do that if I wasn't drunk!"

"You..."

I only threw another punch at him as the bartender quickly grabbed my arm in order to restrain me from continuing my attack. I was so furious at this point and tried to break free from his grasp, but in my rage, I only succeeded in making things worse for myself as the bartender managed to restrain my other arm too.

"Hey, hey! Keep it outside! Do everything you want with your stupid drunken father but don't ruin our business here!"

The other drunkards kept watching the scene in silence, although some of them were whispering between one other and snickering at how the scene played out.

"I gave the mora for my mother's medicines as well as Akhil's daily supplies, NOT FOR YOU TO FUCKING USED THE MORA FOR DRINKING!" I yelled out.

"So?" He spat out the words at me before taking another sip of his drink.

"You think that some worthless mother's medicines should be more important than my enjoyment? That's the same stupid logic while asking me to waste my hard-earned salary for your spoiled needs."

The other drunkards at the tavern merely laughed at my father's remark.

This bastards...

I was about to burst all my anger at him without a care of being restrained, but the door suddenly opened revealing it to be Akhil.

"Y-Y/n..! Please come quick! Mama is not opening her eyes..!"

The sudden interruption stopped me dead in my tracks as though something cold went down my spine and froze me in panic after hearing the news from Akhil.

My father also immediately went silent and stopped drinking when he heard Akhil's voice. It was as if all the rage and frustration it had been building up suddenly dispersed in that very instant, leaving only a sharp pain in my chest that I have to bear alone.

Without much hesitation, I pushed the bartender aside and quickly ran back towards the house.

Once I returned home, I frantically rushed to my mother's room hoping that all was still not lost. Yet as I reached my mother's bed, I saw that her eyelids were no longer moving like they used to. I saw Akhil still desperately trying to wake our mother up, but nothing seemed to work.

After several long, agonizing moments of silence spent gazing at my mother, everything suddenly became blurry. My mother no longer moved nor breathed in bed.

It was too late.

The truth slowly sunk deep down in my mind and I felt as if part of me was being stolen away forever.

In that moment, I found myself unable to say or do anything as I was consumed by an immense grief of losing her. Eventually, my body began to tremble as I kneeled down on the ground. The grief, the loss, and finally an unbearable emptiness that filled my entire body robbed away the power for me to even shed a single tear anymore.

I kept staring blankly at my mother's body as she lay there motionless in the bed. I was so emotionally exhausted that I had no more will left to look at anything else, let alone care about my father's presence behind me.

I only tried to stand up before facing my father but not daring to look at him in the eye.

"...Sorry... if I failed to be a perfect daughter..." I whispered to him before leaving the house to process my thoughts.

I walked out of the front door and into the quiet night, unable to hear much noise from my neighbors as nearly everyone at the neighborhood had gone to sleep. The road around our house was empty and the darkness shrouded everything around me like a dark blanket.

I merely walked with no particular direction in mind, as though I had already entered a dark abyss and was left all alone.

And soon, even the weather turned against me as rain started to fall from the sky and it darkened my mood even more. The cold raindrops landed on my face, slowly adding to my misery as if the whole world seemed to be so unkind to me right now, tormenting me even more than before.

I knew that no matter what happened, I could never see my mother's smiling face again, neither could I hear her warm and comforting voice anymore... and I had the terrible realization that from that point on, only a long and lonely road awaited me.