Chapter 9: Perception

[Y/n's PoV]

I began my day with a sense of freedom and excitement, but a nagging feeling of unease also filled my mind. I felt free for the time being, but I knew that the Shogun was watching my every move from afar. I also knew that I was still at her mercy and that any little mishap could result in her punishing me further. Despite these thoughts, I could not deny the pleasure of being outside in the fresh air.

The sun beamed down warmly on me as I strolled the streets. The warmth and sunlight were refreshing after being inside the Shogun's residence for so long. I was grateful that I could still feel the sunlight on my skin. I took in the sights and sounds around me as I strolled along the town.

I even bought a few treats and snacks from street vendors to enjoy throughout the day. It was a perfect day to enjoy outside, and I couldn't deny that it felt good to have some freedom again.

"Having sex with the god of Inazuma... Never would have thought..."

I couldn't help but let out a laugh as I continued to stroll the streets.

Perhaps I'll visit the shrine in the afternoon since I need to get back to the inn to grab the things that I'll be needing in case the Shogun could restrict my movement after this.

With that, I went back to the inn and gathered all of the necessary materials for the research. I made sure to pack everything I needed, no matter how small the item was.

Then, I approached a few random civilians as they went about their lives. I engaged in simple conversations with them, asking about their thoughts on the Electro Archon. Most of the people I spoke to had mixed opinions. Some were fond of her, and said that she was an excellent and caring ruler. Others were more critical, claiming that she was far too restrictive and that she was too obsessed with maintaining Eternity. It seemed as if there was no middle ground when it came to opinions on the Electro Archon.

After I finished my survey, I went to the shrine and looked for the Guuji being my primary target. I knew that the Grand Narukami Shrine was a symbol of the Electro Archon's devotion, and that I could probably find her most devoted follower.

"Oh my?~ A new face, I see. To what purpose have you come to visit the shrine?"

As I approached the Guuji, I noticed that her demeanor was completely different from the one of the Shogun. She had more of a playful and teasing attitude, and her body language was much more expressive as opposed to her strict and dignified counterpart. She also had a much lighter voice, even a bit childlike in her delivery.

"I have come here from Sumeru to conduct some research regarding the Electro Archon. I was hoping for you to lend me a bit of your time and answer a few of my questions, Madame Guuji."

"Oh, and what kind of questions would those be, may I ask?" She chuckled mischievously as she tilted her head, seeming eager to hear about my line of inquiry.

"Something about... the Shogun's own personality, her way of ruling, and obsession towards eternity."

At the mention of the Shogun, she seemed to perk up with interest.

"These are very provocative questions that I can gladly entertain. However, my dear, my responses would just be personal opinions of a mere shrine maiden. Do you wish to hear them regardless?"

I nodded, "Of course. You are one of the Shogun's close companions throughout the centuries after all."

Yae Miko only chuckles.

"Ah, you do make a fair point there. Well, in regards to her personality, I would say for the most part, she is quite stoic and reserved. She is a very logical and rational person who prioritizes results over everything else."