Chapter 13: Your Love Is My Drug

[Y/n's PoV]

I remembered Yae Miko's words that I need to play my cards right when dealing with Ei since she's more obsessed and possessive towards me than the Shogun, but...

"Tsk, so you're the mastermind behind all of this."

I couldn't stop my mouth from saying something bitter towards her.

Ei stays silent for a moment as she gazes at me. She seems to be trying to read me, as if to gauge my current state of mind.

"How are you feeling right now?"

Seriously?

"I'd rather just let you kill me instead of asking me how I really felt from this situation."

Ei hummed, "That answer makes it clear that you are still feeling extremely frustrated."

She takes a few steps closer to me and speaks in a gentle tone.

"You must truly be feeling incredibly helpless to attempt such extreme measures just to escape me." She pauses for a moment as she thinks of what to say next.

"I want you to know this... I know that you despise me and what I did. I understand why, and I don't blame you one bit. My actions have caused you a great deal of pain, and I am truly remorseful."

She took another deep breath before continuing.

"However, even though you are angry at me... I do not hate you."

Ei's tone was much more emotional and slightly sad. She knows how deep the hurt she has inflicted upon me runs. It's a kind of guilt that has been simmering inside her ever since my last interaction with the Shogun, but she was unsure of how to express it.

"Y/n, I am willing to accept any amount of anger and hostility towards me until you're satisfied."

I only looked at her disdainfully as she slowly approached me and grabbed my hand to inspect it.

I also noticed that her hands were surprisingly gentle, almost a contrast to her typically stern demeanor. She was holding the hand that I had cut, and looked at the self-inflicted wounds with visible worry. Her eyes then looked up at me with concern.

"Please... don't do that again. I would hate to think this was the only way you thought you could get rid of me..."

I scoffed.

"As if you truly care. All you care about is your control and sadistic nature towards me."

Ei seemed somewhat hurt by my words, although she paused for a moment before her eyes becoming sharp and icy once more.

"You're right about one thing... I did only care about my control. You were no more than a mere tool for me to wield as I pleased. But... something changed... Do you still recall the night you were drunk? Before all of this happened? I was the one whom you met back then. Not the Shogun."

"It is a memory I will never forget. You were so different from how you are now. You were carefree and... happy, for lack of a better word."

Her tone of voice is changing drastically- it's almost as though she is trying to resist the urge to raise her voice, or maybe trying not to let it shake.

"What happened to you? How did you become so broken?" She asked.

The audacity? I thought to myself as I bitterly laughed.

"Let me remind you that it is YOU who broke my being. Who shattered my hope and teared all those papers inside my room!"

Ei flinched as I yelled. She remained silent for a moment before speaking again in a slightly lower tone.