Chapter 23: Graduation

[Y/n's PoV]

After a whole year, Ei and I have gotten much closer than before. Despite the rocky start to our relationship, the two of us have learned to appreciate and trust each other more and she has grown to care about my well-being almost as much as she care about eternity. Our life together is not perfect, but it has certainly become much more tolerable.

Though I still found her possessiveness a bit annoying sometimes, I no longer resented her for it. I have come to understand that it is just a part of her personality and she only wanted what was best for me.

She has also mellowed somewhat having learned to accept my wishes and desires to a certain extent, albeit reluctantly. Yet even with all these little improvements... a part of me could not help but feel drawn to this controlling and obsessive nature, thinking there is something deep and alluring about it.

On the other hand, my father's promise of taking care of my brother is still there and my relationship with him started to get better as well.

Though I still have not forgiven him for his neglect of my brother and my late mother during my upbringing, I have since accepted his efforts to amend for his past mistakes to the point that it was enough for us to have honest talks over the past and the present.

During this year, my senior also graduated from the Akademiya. He still mocks or scolds me sometimes though he bids me nothing but success in life before he pursue his own career.

And after another few years, my graduation is there for me to graduate at the Akademiya as one of their well known scholars.

I can't help but feel a sense of accomplishment from this achievement. I spent so much of my life pursuing knowledge and wisdom, and now I finally had something tangible to show for it.

My brother as well as my father was also present to spectate my graduation and I found satisfaction in seeing him proud of me.

"I'm sure your mother would be happy and proud of you as well seeing her daughter accomplished many things."

I just smiled at him in response.

I once talked to him about my relationship and marriage I had with the Electro Archon which he doesn't seem opposed to.

He did not express his complete approval of my marriage to Ei, but he was more accepting and understanding of its circumstances and reasons after I explained it to him.

He was a bit surprised at first, but later, he realized that despite our difference in social status, me and Ei were very compatible and cared for one another- something he valued more than anything else.

I might be going crazy but I found it a bit disappointing that Ei did not come to my graduation despite her being my fiancee. Of course, I understood that her duties as the Raiden Shogun were much more important than attending a ceremony.

I also realized that with all the time we have spent together, I no longer felt offended or hurt every time Ei does something like this. Instead, I had learned to accept her flaws and understand her reasonings, just like how she has learned to accept mine.

I just shook off that feeling before placing my graduation cap on my brother's head.

"Soon, it'll be your turn to make something significant here in the Akademiya, Akhil. Whether you will follow my footsteps or not, do know that I'll support you whatever it will be."

He then looked up at me with a proud and grateful expression.

"I won't let you down, sis! I'll do my best to become a top scholar just like you."

I smiled at him before looking at my father.

"After my graduation... I'll be going back to Inazuma to talk about my final preparation from our marriage with the Raiden Shogun. I don't know when will I be coming back after that or will she even allow me, but I'll make sure to update you both with my whereabouts." I said to him.

I saw a slight sadness in my father's eyes at the thought of leaving him again, especially after we have just reconciled and grown close. But he immediately managed to hide his disappointment as he responded to what I said.

"I'm sure that the Electro Archon won't have an issue with it as long as you keep in touch frequently. You are still my daughter after all. And I trust her to take care of you and make you happy."

I smiled faintly before I prepared a bit after the graduation ended and went back to Inazuma.

The final preparations... for my wedding with Ei. Now that I think about it, the day of my wedding with the Raiden Shogun drew nearer and soon, the fate of my life will be permanently bound to hers.

Once we both saw each other inside Tenshukaku, we immediately approached one another.

"There you are, I have something important to say to you."

Umm...

The two of us looked at one another with a bit of confusion since it was unusual for both of us to say something to each other at the same time.

We remained silent for a moment before Ei spoke first.

"I have something I want to say to you first, my beloved."

I nodded as a response and observed Ei taking a deep breath. Her expression seemed to soften, and I could tell that she was becoming nervous. Why..?

"I would like to ask something of you. I know that I have not been quite the most affectionate partner this past few years, but I want to make up to you. You see, your graduation from the Akademiya fills me with joy, but I realize that I have been neglecting your emotional needs for quite a while now..."

Ei paused for a moment before taking a deep breath again. She seemed like she wanted to say more, but she was trying her best to control her emotions.

Her eyes... began to sparkle with something making her seem more vulnerable than before.

"...I have failed to fully understand what your heart truly yearns for over the past few years when you desire the most was to be out of my control."

"Your family is there in Sumeru and you are allowed to go back freely since today... I planned to let you have your freedom by ending our wedding..."