Chapter 20: Dual Ego

[Y/n's PoV]

Days have passed, and my father only realized something he shouldn't have said and asked for my forgiveness. However, when he noticed how I only looked at him in silence instead of accepting his apology, he went silent too, his face darkening with an anger that quickly disappeared when he realized just how much pain he had inflicted upon me during that day.

Neither of us spoke anymore as we both remained in silence for a long moment before finally, my father spoke up with his voice now filled with guilt and remorse.

"Is there... is there anything I can do to make up for you...? I am sorry-"

"Leave." I interrupted him coldly since he visited me here all the way at the Akademiya to seek for my presence.

My father became a bit surprised by my cold reception, but he should have expected this from me after what happened between us that day. He looked at me quietly before he bowed his head towards me.

"I can understand why you would hate me, and I accept your decision if you wish to remain this way. I only wish one thing from you- let me know if you ever need me for something. At least let me be of some use to you."

Tch.

"Then stop drinking and take damn care of my little brother. I'll be going to Inazuma for two days. If I came back and heard a single rumor of you drinking and dared to threaten, violate, or treating my brother less- I will not hesitate to make my hands dirty and kill you myself. Do you understand all of that... father?"

Clearly, he was taken aback by my sudden outburst of violent anger but he quickly regained his composure and calmly put his hands together as he gave me a solemn promise.

"...You have my word... I shall never touch another drop of alcohol and will be a better father to Akhil than I was to you. I shall also make sure that your mother's passing does not break him and that he will remain healthy and happy as she would have wanted."

That was the last conversation I had with him before I set off. I was currently back at Inazuma as I only looked silently at the food on the table.

It was just my regular evening meal, but it now felt bland and tasteless to me despite that it was still cooked with the same effort as before.

"My darling, you're spacing out again."

I suddenly jolted out of my thoughts by the sound of Ei's voice as she was already sitting there watching me and already had her own meal finished.

My expression was still distant and empty, but I immediately shook off the lingering gloom and tried to act indifferent towards her.

"I'm not." I replied dismissively.

Of course, my answer did not fool Ei, as she was already able to tell something was wrong based on my demeanor. She set down her utensils before she spoke again with a gentle tone.

"Do not lie to me. You have not even touched your food yet."

"....Why bother feeding my body anymore if my heart was already so empty?" I asked her.

Ei merely sighed, thinking the loss of my mother gravely took a turn on my personality.

"Do you think your mother would be happy to see you stop eating? I know it was hard for you to lose your mother - it was for me when I lost my sister too. But you cannot let your grief consume you like this. Your mother would certainly not want you to hurt yourself like this."