Everything Is About To Change

Eliza

The last task was the maze, the music was playing, everyone was cheering and then the champions took off into the maze. "I hope they are going to be okay." I spoke next to Hermione who had the same worried expression on her face. We all saw the red spark that went off, and a couple of people from the ministry took off to find them. I turned to George and he placed a hand on my shoulder nodding. He was reassuring me that everything was alright. It wasn't long after that Harry landed back on the pitch hovering over Cedric, the music played, I heard Harry's cries. 

"He's back." Dumbledore lifted Harry off of Cedric.

Amos dropped to his knees and cried. "My son! That's my boy!" Hermione reached over holding my hand and I gave it a squeeze as we both had tears rolling down our cheeks.

We were all sent to our common rooms and I sat there looking out of the window. Cedric was dead and Voldemort was back. That was a lot to process right now. George sat next to me wrapping an arm around me, as I sobbed. "I..." I felt that panicking feeling I had last year before I found out my father was an innocent man. "I can't believe Cedric is dead." I finally whispered. George looked up and he was suddenly out of my grasp. It wasn't a moment later I felt a pair of familiar arms wrap around me and pull me in close. 

"Elizabeth..." His whispering caused me to break out into tears. Fred rocked me slowly and kissed the top of my head. "Sh.." He mumbled into the top of my hair. "It's going to be alright." I gripped him tighter, worried that if I let go he would go away. "I am not going anywhere, darling. I am right here." He held onto me as I looked up at him, I opened my mouth to apologize but he stopped me. "All is forgiven, love." He smiled.

Everyone gathered in the Great Hall before having to board the train. Dumbledore took his seat in front of everyone. Fred held my hand tightly as Dumbledore began speaking.

"Today we suffer a terrible loss. Cedric Diggory, as you all know, exceptionally hard working, infinitely fair-minded, and most importantly a fierce, fierce friend." He stood and began walking to his podium. "Now I think therefore, you have a right to know exactly how he died." He paused as he put his hands on the podium. "You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered." I winced. "By Lord Voldemort!" Everyone kept their eyes on Dumbledore. "The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so, would be an insult to his memory. Now the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me, reminds us, that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one. Considering recent events, the bonds of friendship we've made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain. You remember that and well celebrate a boy who was kind and honest, and brave and true right to the very end."

The ride home was one of silence, I laid my head on Fred's shoulder, he was hurting just as much as I was. He was a friend to Cedric. I was a friend to Cedric. Since that night in the common room Fred did not leave my side. It felt like he feared for what would happen if he did. "Do you want to stay at the Burrow?" There was no other place I would rather be. I nodded my head slowly as I laid it back down on his shoulder. "Where is Sirius now?" I looked up at him and shrugged once more. I truly didn't. He spoke more to Harry than he did me this year. Which was understandable. He couldn't risk getting caught. I didn't want him to get caught. I could not handle another loss. "Not sure, he has to keep moving." Fred nodded and looked at me. "Everything is about to change, isn't it?" I asked, laying my head back down.

"Reckon it is." He kissed her forehead and looked out the window.