1

Caroline

The sound of my alarm at 6:00 startles me awake. The room was still dark. I rubbed my eyes before getting up out of bed and towards the bathroom. I turned on the light, blinding myself as I looked in the mirror. I splash cold water on my face to try and wake me up. Luckily, it did.

I make my way to the kitchen and start the coffee, which I need right away. I start my breakfast which consisted of a plain bagel with cream cheese. One of my basic favorites. By the time I put cream cheese on the bagel, the coffee is done. I groggily pour myself a cup and sit down. The coffee slowly starts to wake me up. Truly, the amount of coffee I drink daily is enough to kill me soon.

After I eat, I return to the bathroom, trying to stay awake. I brush my teeth, do my hair, and do makeup. I pray that this all covers the under eyes and redness on my face. I get dressed into light washed jeans, a black t-shirt, and a gray cardigan. I slip into walking shoes. I check the time and see I have to get going. I look in the mirror, which reflects my bed.

"I'll see you later." I sigh and grab my bags. I head out to my car, throwing everything inside. I start it up and pull out of my townhouse apartment, making my 15-minute drive to the school.

I'm a teacher. I've been teaching for 5 years and don't regret my career. The early mornings and late nights are a big struggle, but in the end the kids make it all worth it. I teach the greatest group of students. I get to see them change over the year and it makes me so happy.

I make it to work. As I walk in, I look over at the sunrise. The gorgeous orange, yellow, and pink colors give me peace as I start my day. I walk through the halls, with only the sound of my shoes against the floor to be heard. I get to my classroom and start my routine. Turning on the soft lights, turning on the board, writing down the schedule for today, and making sure everything is in order.

I look at my computer and print off some copies before leaving the room to go grab them. I step into the hallway and see another teacher headed the same direction as me,

"Morning Caroline"

"Morning Mrs. Lee. How's everything going?" I ask softly.

She shrugs. "Just another day in paradise. I saw your state test scores from last month by the way. Wow. I'm impressed."

I smile. My class all had near perfect and perfect scores. It's the best test scores I've ever seen from any of my students in the past. "I can't take all the credit. They all did the work." I say as I take the papers out of the printer.

"You are the one that taught them, ya know. You need to pat yourself on the back. You work harder than half the staff here." She says. She was right. I work really hard on those kids. They come to me in the beginning of the year terrified, unhopeful, unknowledgeable, and sometimes, rude and unbearable. By the end of the first semester, they are almost all completely changed. It's the same way every year.

Mrs. Lee scoots by me to get her papers. "I don't know. I like to think I just give them information and they use it wisely." I say.

"Well personally, I need to say thank you. I get the new and nice kids from your class the next year." She chuckles and I smile. Mrs. Lee teaches a grade above mine. Shes one of the closest people I get along with there. Shes almost 73 years old. Her and her husband could've retired but she wanted to stay for the kids. Before me, she was the one who changed them.