14

Caroline

I got the call from Simon. As soon as he told me about the kids being home, I drove as fast as I could to the base. When I get there, I am greeted by Simon.

"Caroline." He says softly.

I walk towards him. "Are they alright?" 

I could see him smile in his eyes. "They are better than alright."

I smile and we walk into the base. My nerves were going crazy. I needed to see them so badly. We get to a door of a room. Ghost gives me one more look before opening the door. 

I walk in to see a room full of bunk beds which were split between boys and girls. Their heads turned to see me and they all light up.

Every one of them ran up to me. I fell to my knees, hugging every single one of them. I embraced them each tightly almost never wanting to leave any of them again. I couldn't stop the tears. Luckily, this time they were tears of joy. 

"Joshua! Leah! Nicky! Owen! Kylie!" I look at every child. "Lucas! Issac! Hannah!"

Seeing them all alive and well made me so relieved. I realized that there were only 8.

I look to Ghost. "There's only 8. Wasn't there 9 missing?" I ask.

"Don't worry, Alexa is in the infirmary. She needed to be treated as soon as we got back." He says.

"He saved us Miss Madden!" I look at Nicky. 

"I know he did!" I smile at Ghost. "And I'm so thankful for that."

I saw his eyes get softer towards me. He leans against the doorframe and watches the kids interact with me.

"He killed a bad guy. I bet he was scared of his mask." Joshua says. Ghost and I laugh.

They tell me all about what Ghost did. I couldn't help but smile. My heart melted a little as they talked about him.

"So, you weren't scared of his mask?" I ask.

They all shake their heads. 

"Some of us were at first, but then he told us he was there to save us, and he was a really nice guy. Even the guy named Soap. Ha-Ha I like that name." Lucas laughs.

"Miss Madden, he hugged me and told me I was going to be okay" Kylie says.

I tilt my head and smile. "He did?" I turn to look at Ghost and he looks away.

"Yeah. He also told us that you loved us a lot and missed us." Kylie says. "Did you?"

I look into each of their bright eyes. "Of course I did. I do every day when you leave. You are all my favorite kids in the world. I love and miss you all the time. I trusted Ghost to bring you all back and it was a good thing I did." I smile.

I hug them all again. I could feel Simons eyes in the back of my head.

"They will all get to go home tomorrow. We just needed to care for them and treat them if they need." Simon says as I stand back up. "And they are going to sleep and not talk tonight, right?"

The kids laugh and nod. I knew they would talk to each other all night long. For the past week, it was the first time they have been away from their families. At least tonight they are in a safer place now.

I say goodnight to them all and shut the door behind me. I look at Ghost.

"I thought you said that you didn't like kids." I ask smirking and crossing my arms.