30

Caroline

Simon had gone back to work today for the first time since the last mission. I loved being with Simon all those days and hated having to come back here. At least I still get to see him every night that I can.

I could tell that he was starting to like kids more. He's seen the way I am around them and it only makes him softer. He still tries to deny it, but I know him well.

We ended up calling Alexas's aunt who lived about an hour away. Her aunt gladly let her stay until things are resolved. Simon was able to contact some people he knew that could take in Alexas's parents. They were charged with child neglect and child abuse. It did cause Alexa to not be able to be in school for a while, but she should be back soon.

Even though things were a little rough around the edges, I have never felt better in life. It's all because of him. I think Simon has saved me in more ways than he thinks. He's been there for me, held me, and listened to my problems. Thats all I ever wanted. I never thought once about Aaron when Simon came into the picture. It's all him now.

Things were good, until today. I got a phone call during school that made my life a little more worried. I was at home debating what to do. I paced my living room trying to figure out a plan, but I couldn't make up my mind.

I hear behind me the door open. I smile at Simon. He noticed me pacing.

"Is everything alright?" He asks.

I walk over to him and hug him. His chin rested on my head. "Yeah. Everything is fine."

Simon tilts my head up to look in his eyes. "Caroline, what's going on?"

I sigh. "My...dad. He's in the hospital right now." I see his eyes narrow. "He just had a stroke and might not make it."

"Oh love, I'm so sorry. What are you going to do?" He asks. I pull away.

"Thats the thing... I don't know. I know I should go see him, but I haven't seen him or anyone else in my family for years. I can't go now."

"Maybe this is a sign that you need to go see them. It doesn't matter that you haven't seen them in years, he's your father."

I turn to look at him. "My dad and I never had a good relationship. Neither did me or my mother. My brother and sister still have me and my other siblings...well who knows how they feel about me." I let out a breath. "I can't go."

Simon walks over to me and puts his hands on my shoulders. "You need to go."

I look up at him and shake my head. He looks into my eyes. "Simon, you don't understand. They all hate me. I don't want to see them."

He cups my face in his hands. "You might finally be able to rekindle the past with them again. Please Caroline, I think you should go"

The sound of his voice was a little demanding. I really didn't want to go but most of me said that I should. I can't face them now, not after everything I've done and said to them. I haven't seen them since I ran away.

I look into his eyes and sigh. "Okay. I will."

He smiles and places a kiss on my lips. "Thank you. And if you want, I could come with you when you see them."

I slightly smile. "It's okay. I think I can deal with them. Plus, you've been away from work too long. Maybe its best I just go."

He chuckles. "I guess you're right. Although Soap and Gaz are already becoming a pain again."

I laugh. He hugs me again and softly speaks into my ear. "Everything will be okay. I promise."

I hold him tight against me, never wanting to let him go. His chin rests on my head and his hands rub up and down my back. If there was one person that would make my problems go away, its him.

"My mum would have loved you." He says softly.

I look up at him. "Really?"

He smiles. "She always wanted me to find someone like you. Someone that cares for me and loves me the same way that I do. I honestly thought I never would find someone like that. She would absolutely love you."

"You haven't told me much about your dad." I say softly. His demeanor dropped. "What was he like?"

He sighs. "You want me to tell you?"

I nod. We both sit down on the couch. I pull my knees up to my chest and he holds my hand. He hesitates for a bit before finally talking again.

"My father...wasn't a good man. He abused me a lot." My eyes widen. "He treated me awfully."

He props his elbows on his knees and looks at the floor. "He would bring home animals to taunt me, made me laugh at traumatizing things, and he pushed my brother to scare me as well."

He was struggling to talk about it. He was even shaking a little. I put my hand on his back. He flinched a little but leaned into my touch.

"I... I hate that man." He says mumbling. "I thank God everyday he's dead. I'm glad he's gone. But he hurt me... so bad."

Simon keeps his eyes on the floor. He didn't look at me once. He took a deep breath. "He's the reason I've never really liked kids. I don't know how to act around them. I was scared of becoming him."

I turn his face to look at me. I saw tears in his eyes, which I've never seen him have before. I look deep into his eyes. "I'm so sorry Simon." I rub my hand up and down his back. "He's gone. And he can never touch you again."

He wraps his arms around me and hugs me tightly. His face nuzzles into the crook of my neck. He hugged me so tightly that I couldn't move. I didn't want to anyway.

"You're the best thing that has ever happened to me, Caroline. I mean that." I smile and hold the back of his head.

"I'm always here Simon. I'll always be by your side."

He sits back up and looks at me. He takes another deep breath. "I also almost forgot to give you something."

I raise my eyebrows as he pulls a small box out of his pocket. He hands it to me and I glace into his eyes. "What is it?" I ask curiously.

"Something you deserve."

I smile and open it. I see it's a necklace with three diamonds. It looks like it costs thousands of dollars. I take it out and look at Simon. "Where did you get this?"

He smiles. "It actually used to be my mothers. I remembered a few days ago that she gave it to me shortly before she died as a thank you for helping her. She wanted me to give it someone important."

My eyes soften. "This looks expensive. I couldn't keep it..."

"I want you to have it. Like I said, she would have loved you and I'm sure she's happy that I would give it to you."

I smile. I turn around and he helps me put it on. I look down at it. I was the most gorgeous piece of jewelry I've ever seen. I look up at him and he was taking the sight in.

"It looks perfect on you."

He takes my hand and kisses the back of it. I smile at him. "I'll never take it off."

-----------

hey y'all. I hope you are liking this more than I am lmao. I'm kind of cringing at my writing. So, if you like it thanks so much for reading! Don't worry, just cause I'm cringing doesn't mean I'm going to end the story ha-ha. Thanks again!