16

Caroline

I sat on the couch with a book in my hands. It was 'The Great Gatsby' that Gabe had given to me about 2 weeks ago. I have been too stressed to pick up a book but finally I decided to. It had been a couple days since I last saw the kids. They all got to go home to their families which makes me feel a lot better.

I was deep into the book but got spooked as I heard a knock at the door. It was late at night, so I don't know who would be here this late. I mark the page and get up to answer the door. I unlock the three locks and open the door. There stood Simon. 

"Got enough locks on that door?" He says sarcastically. 

I blink a few times, confused as to why he's here. I mean it's not like I didn't want him here.

"I'm a single woman living on my own. I have weird neighbors. So, it's important I have these." I smirk. "What are you doing here so late?"

"I guess I just needed to leave the base for a while. It's been a little quiet without those kids there." 

I chuckle. "I knew you'd come around. They aren't so bad after all are they." 

I motion for him to come in and he follows. "I guess not. You trained them well."

"Sure. But you've only met about half, you haven't really met the rest." 

He scoffs. "If I can handle those ones, I think I can handle the others."

I laugh. "Do you want anything? Water, tea, whiskey, wine..." 

He sets his jacket down on the back of the sofa chair. He had on a black t-shirt which outlined his muscles really well. I tried to keep my eyes up on his.

"You have whisky? I thought you weren't really a drinker?" 

I shrug. "I guess I just keep it for special occasions."

I walk off to go grab the bottle of whisky and a bottle of wine. I grab two glasses as well, bringing them back to the living room. He was already sat on the couch and holding my book in his hands. I set the drinks on the coffee table.

"Do you read a lot?" He asks.

"I do." I say, sitting down. "I've always liked reading. Ever since I was young."

"Did your mom read to you a lot?" He turns to look at me.

"More like my older siblings did and I read to my younger siblings." 

He sits back onto the couch. "It sounds like you have a big family."

I sigh. "Yeah. I have my parents and 6 siblings."

"6?!" He says with his eyes widening. I chuckle and nod.

"Yep. It's pretty difficult in that family."

"Do you talk with them much?" He says, taking a sip of whiskey.

I shake my head. "No. I don't. And frankly I don't want to."