3

Caroline

The outside bar lights shined in the night. I shut my car door, grasping my bag that was slung over my shoulder. I pull on the slightly sticky door handle and walk inside.

The smell of alcohol and cigarettes flooded the big room. Walking through the maze of people, I get to the bar and sit on one of the stools. I order a vodka cranberry. The bartender brings it over and I give him a smile. I take a sip. I can taste the apparent vodka in the drink more than the cranberry. I didn't care. I take another sip before setting it down.

I don't come here a lot anymore. It was on the edge of town that people go to, to either find a hookup for the night or drink themselves into a coma. Either way, I was here because I needed a drink more than anything.

I look up from my glass and scan the room. Different people scattered the bar. Couples, singles, people laughing, people crying, people playing pool, or people flirting. My eyes make their way over and land on a man sitting adjacent from me at the bar. He had a skull balaclava and dark clothes on.  He sat to himself with a glass of what looks like, whiskey.

I couldn't take my eyes off him. He did look dangerous. His eyes were the only thing showing his emotions, which didn't show much.

I was pulled out of my gaze as I heard his deep, british voice speak to me.

"Can I help you?"

I blink my eyes a few times and look down. I look back up at him, trying to make it seem I wasn't just looking at him.

"Oh...uh...sorry no. I didn't mean to stare." I stutter a little.

"Didn't mean to? Well, you were looking for a while."

"Right. I'm sorry. I won't stare at you again."

His head slightly nods. "Good to hear. Keep your eyes to yourself."

I give an awkward small smile and return my attention to my drink. I take a deep breath and try to think of something else. A few minutes roll by and I hear him talk again.

"Little busy in here, innit?" he says, causing me to look up at him.

"Yeah. It is." I muffle. "A few too many creeps too"

"Like those guys?" He says pointing to the men behind me, who are looking me up and down like I'm their next meal.

I sigh as I feel a little uncomfortable and unsure what to do. He speaks louder in his deep gravelly voice.

"You can sit over by me if you'd like. I'm sure they would leave you alone if I'm next to you."

I scoff a little. "How do I know you're not a creep like them?"

"I'm not in my 50s looking at every inch of you. Plus, you look very uncomfortable." He says, keeping a cold gaze on me.

I decide to go over to him. I sit in the barstool next to him and look back over at the older men. They kept looking until they finally looked away thinking that I was after whoever this guy was.

"What's your name?" He says. I turn my head to look at his cold eyes.

"Caroline. Caroline Madden." I grasp my drink in my hands. "Mind telling me yours? Let me guess...Lucius. Or Beelzebub. Maybe Mephistopheles?" I tease.