25

Ghost

It's been over a month with the rookies. They've done enough training and practicing proving how well they are. It's been a busy month. The only thing making things better is Caroline. I always promise I'd come over and sometimes can't. She always understands. Whenever I do, she holds me in her arms all night long. I don't deserve her at all. I keep reminding her that. She doesn't care.

Penny has become a problem. She isn't as touchy anymore but tries to get closer every chance she gets. I'm able to ignore her sometimes but it's hard to. Shes always that buzzing noise in my ear that I can't get away from. She is also the best rookie we've got. I can't ignore that fact. We can't get rid of her cause she's too good. So, I just deal with her every day.

Soap, Gaz, and I along with some rookies sit in a meeting discussing a meeting. Price stands in front. I could feel Pennys eyes digging into the side of my head. I keep my focus on Price.

"Rookies, this is your first mission. It's important you listen to every word. We have received intel about a Russian group who are planning on sending missiles. We need to stop them. We don't have very long either, so we need to step on it and disarm them." He says.

"What do we do Price?" Soap asks.

"I know for now that Gaz is with me, and Soap and Ghost are together." He says. Thank God I'm not with her. "I'll have more information once we load out. We leave tomorrow."

We all nod and walk out the room. Soap walks alongside me.

"Hungry LT? I'm going to grab some food real quick if you want." He says.

I shake my head. "No, I'm alright Johnny. I've got work to do anyway."

"Work as in... say bye to Caroline." He smirks.

I nudge him and roll my eyes. "No, I've got real work to do. I'll talk to her soon. Go and get some rest too."

He keeps walking and I step into my office. I close the door behind me. I sigh and sit down at my desk, starting on the documents in front of me. It didn't look like I was going to have time to see Caroline tonight, so I may just have to call her. She wouldn't mind if I can't see her, she'd just appreciate that I think of her before I leave.

I was deep into my work when the door opens. Its Penny. I look back down.

"Penny, get out."

"Why? I just wanted to say good luck for tommorwo." She says.

I look back up at her. "Were going on the same mission. I won't need luck, but you might."

She scoffs. "I don't need luck, I already know I'm good."

"Whatever you say." I respond. "You should probably go and train."

"I'm to tired though."

"Yeah? Well, I'm tired too but I've got to finish work. So, go on."

"I won't make you tired." She smirks and leans over the desk.

I glare into her eyes then look back at my work, trying to ignore her. She grabs my face to look at her.

"Why don't you want me?" She asks flirtatiously.

I sigh. "I've told you times before, I'm into interested. I am into someone else. She makes me happy and isn't nasty like you."

She stands up straight before walking around the desk to me. She leans over to get closer to me and I try to stop her. She grabs my wrists, pinning them to the arms of the chair. She was oddly strong. I couldn't break free.

"Penny, let me go now." I growl.

She brings her face closer to mine and whispers. "You really need to relieve some stress lieutenant. Use me." She quickly lifts my mask up to my nose and presses her lips to mine.

She kept me pinned to the chair, making me practically stuck. She kisses me for a while and finally breaks away. I look towards the door and my eyes widen. There she stands frozen.

"Caroline..." I say nervous.

She runs out of the room. Penny had let my wrists go and I push her away. I run after Caroline down the hall and outside. I catch up to her and grab her arm, turning her to face me.

"Caroline...Caroline, I promise it's not what it looks like. I swear, please just listen to me." I say.

Tears formed in her eyes as she got angry. "It's not what It looks like?! It looks like you were just kissing some chick in your office."

I try grabbing her hand, but she pulls it away. "I know that was what happened but believe me she did it. She kissed me and I didn't want to. I can't sta-"

She cuts me of. "Simon, don't even start. I'm just one of your toys like these others female soldiers and nurses." I look at her unsure what to say or do. "All this time that we've given each other is just a waste. While you're here doing all these other chicks, you come to me and then do me after all of them. Because I'm one of them."

"You need to understand. None of that was meant to happen. I couldn't stop her. She did it to me. I tried to stop her." I say, trying so hard to believe me. All it sounded like was a bunch of BS.

Her tears slowly fall. "I don't want to see you ever again. Don't call me. Don't text me. Don't visit me or talk to one of my students again. I can't believe you Simon." I tried to explain myself, but it clearly wasn't going to work. "And if I'm ever in trouble again, just let me die. I'd rather die than be saved by a traitor like you."

She storms off back to her car. I watch her drive off, unable to do anything. I hold my face in my hands and yell. I was so angry at Penny and myself. I could have stopped Penny. Caroline meant everything to me now she's gone because I couldn't stop Penny or help myself.

Price runs out of the base and sees me. I turn round with my hands on my hips and glare at him.

"Simon, what's going on? Was that Caroline?" He asks.

I look at him before walking past him making my way inside, but he stops me.

"Why did she leave? She came to say goodbye before you left for tomorrow and she-"

"Shes gone. I messed up now she's gone. We should have never brought in those dumb rookies." I say angrily and walk back into base.

As I walk in, I see Penny sitting in the cafeteria smirking. I give her a cold glare and storm off to my office. Everything we had was gone. She doesn't trust me. No matter how hard I tried she wouldn't trust me. Why would she? She saw me kissing some other soldier that I tried to stop. It was too late. I couldn't explain myself better.

I slam the door behind me and pace around my office. What was I going to do? She doesn't want to see me again. How would I live without her. I needed her. I really did. Penny pushed herself onto me and I couldn't stop her, I swear. I kept repeating in my mind that Caroline is gone for good now and I hated it. I needed her.

I look out the widow and for the first time in a long time, tears fell down my face.