31

Ghost

///

"Simon, you awake?" My little brother Tommy whispers.

"Yeah?" I whisper back. I couldn't sleep because of the sounds of my parents arguing. "Go to sleep Tommy."

I was startled as Tommy leans over his bunk and looks down at me. He had a skull mask on. I sat up and stared at him.

"Tommy stop. You're scaring me." I say.

Tommy laughs. "Dad got it for me. Isn't it scary?"

I swallow. "Yeah, it is. Now stop."

We then hear footsteps coming towards our room. I lay back down, and Tommy goes back up to his bunk. I close my eyes tightly.

The door swings open and the lamp turns on, blinding me. My dad walks in and looks at me. "Cmon Simon, yur comin with me."

He goes to grab my arm, but my mother stops him. "Kevin quit! He's only 8! What is wrong with you?!"

My dad pushes away my mother. "Shut up Eleanor! He needs to learn to be a man!"

He drags me out of bed and makes me get dressed. My mom gets in front of me. "You're not taking him to a concert. Its 11:00 at night and he's a little boy for crying out loud! You won't be turning him into a man! There's just drugged up prostitutes and you're only teaching him to become like you!"

He then hits my mother across the face, hard. He grabs my arm and pulls me out of the room. I look back at my mum on the floor and my brother watching my dad take me away.

~~~~~

It was around 5 in the morning. My dad and I had gone to a concert. My mother was right. All there were prostitutes and druggies. I couldn't sleep because of what I saw. I saw 2 dead people who overdosed. My father made me laugh at them. I couldn't get the thoughts out of my head.

I turned to my side. I could still hear the faint sounds of my parents arguing. My poor mother. Why was she married that man?

"Simon?" I hear Tommy whisper.

"Why are you still awake Tommy?"

"I just still can't sleep. Are you okay?'

I sigh. "Sure. Don't be scaring me now with that dumb mask. I'm scared enough as is."

"I won't." He says. "Mum and dad say that you might go into the military. Are ya?"

I stay silent a few seconds. "Maybe."

"You really want to be that when you grow up?"

"Kind of." I was only 8. What did I know about what I wanted to do?

"Thats all? Jus be a military man? I wanna be an astronaut." I roll my eyes. He doesn't shut up about space. Even when my dad calls him dumb for talking about it. "What about getting married?"