2

Ghost

I lean back in my seat as the truck rolls down the road. I look over at Soap and Gaz who are asleep on each other. The mission really took a toll on them. I take a deep breath as I look out the window at the sun that is almost completely set. My eyes struggle to stay awake. I was briefly woken up more when Price speaks up.

"You did good out their Ghost. Real good." He says taking a puff from his cigar. I look at him with a stern gaze.

"Couldn't have done it without those two." I say motioning to the two sleeping sergeants.

Price chuckles. "Well, you were the one who stopped the missile. It was a close call." I think about how close were to almost completely failing the mission. I dint want to take the credit.

I shrug. "It was a team effort." I say and he nods.

The rest of the ride back to base was silent, the mission still lingering over me. I'd gone on hundreds of missions before but in some way each one still affects me. I try to shrug it off and focus on the present moment. I rub the back of my neck under my mask. I was ready to get back to base. Two weeks we were on this mission. Two weeks without rest, clean clothes, or a decent meal. There wasn't a mission that we knew of yet and the thought of being able to relax for a while made everything seem better.

After what seems like forever, we make it back to base. Price hops out of the truck and I reach over to wake up Soap and Gaz. I watch as their eyes flutter open in confusion and exhaustion.

"Wake up sunshine's. Were back." I say growly.

Gaz sleepily gets out of the truck, leaving Soap trying to bring himself to reality. We both climb out of the truck, and I put my hand on Soaps shoulder.

"Get some rest sergeant. Our work here is done for a while." I say as we walk inside base.

"Don't have to tell me twice LT. I plan on sleeping like a baby tonight." Soap says smirking. I smile slightly under my mask.

"You need to. You've been moving nonstop. You deserve some rest." I pat his shoulder as I get to my office. He turns to look at me.

"Youve still got work to do?" He asks me.

Just some paperwork to finish. Don't worry about me."

Soap nods. "Good luck with that. Night LT."

I give him a small wave as he walks towards his room. I walk into my office, shutting the door behind me and sitting down in my desk chair. I lean back and stretch every muscle that cramps. My papers are stacked, and I sigh as I look at them.

I get started on the documents, going through each one in detail. My focus was taken off my work to the knocking on the door. The door opens and I see its Josie, one of the nurses at the base. She walks over to the desk.

"I just saw you got back. Did you need a checkup?" She says smirking.

Josie was one of the nurses that I occasionally would use to fulfill my needs. As much as I loved what she did for me, she was dumb as a doornail. I put my pen down and look up at her.