7

Caroline

Over the next couple days, I spent them at the base. I still wasn't allowed to go home until they talked with me. I had my vitals checked every day and got crappy meals. I barely got to speak with anyone. Some people and kids got to leave and go home. I couldn't. It seemed like a serious reason why I was still here.

I sat at a table in the cafeteria. I played with the food in front of me. I couldn't eat. I was full of worry and didn't feel like eating. I look up to see a familiar face. It was a student from our school. Not one of mine though.

"Hey. Is this seat taken?" She says.

I smile. "No. Go right ahead."

She smiles and sits down with her plate of food. It wasnt much. Just a sandwich and fruit. Her arms are covered in bruises and cuts. She starts to eat slowly. Her face was badly bruised as well.

"Your names Megan, right?" I ask and she nods.

"Your Miss Madden. You taught my brother last year." She says.

"I did? What's his name?"

"Joshua Daniels."

I raise my eyebrows."Thats right. He was a very good student. You'll be in my class next year, won't you?" I watch her nod with food in her mouth.

"I'm really excited for next year. He says that you're the best teacher in the world."

I chuckle. "Well, I can't say I'm the best but I am definitely excited to teach you next year."

We talk for a little while before I hear my name be called. I turn around and see three of my students. I sighed in relief to know that at least three of them are okay. They walk over to me, and I pull all of them in a hug.

"Oh, thank God you are all alright. Where's the rest of you guys?" I say pulling away to look at their sweet faces. They were all injured just like Megan.

"There's about 6 more but that's all we know." One of them says. I sigh.

"At least I know your all okay. Are you hungry?" I say and they all nod.

They sit down at the table, and I grab them some food. I bring it over and they all start eating. I was happy to see them. Even though I don't know where the rest are, I'm glad that some are safe. I talk and laugh with them. I was able to hide my worry for the rest of my kids. It's my job as their teacher to make them feel safer and happier. Even in this situation.

I hear a deep voice behind me calling my name. I slightly smile knowing who it was. I turn around to see Ghost standing behind me.

"Caroline. We need to speak with you now." He says looking down at me.

"Alright." I stand up and the kids stare at ghost. I grin a little. "These are three of my students and this is Megan. Can you all say hi to Ghost?"

They all say hi to him. My student, Kyle, asks Ghost something curiously.

"Why do you wear that?"