11

Ghost

I get back to base pretty late. I walk past the kitchen to see Soap sitting at one of the tables. I walk over to him.

"Shouldn't you be asleep right now Seargent." I say.

He had a glass of scotch. He wasn't going to sleep anytime soon.

"Sorry LT. I thought I'd have a quick drink first. Care to join me?" he says lifting the bottle towards me.

I shrug and sit down next to him. I grab one of the glasses sitting on the table and pour some scotch in. I prefer bourbon but as long as its liquor, ill manage.

"Youve been gone a while. Took you that long to bring Caroline home?" He says. I set down my glass and narrow my eyes at him.

"Yeah sure." I say.

"Or were you two a little busy?" he says smirking.

I shake my head, annoyed. "No Soap. I brought her home that's all."

"Right. As if I don't know about you two." He takes a sip from his glass.

I glare at him. "What are you on about now?" 

"I'm just saying. I've seen the way you both are. The way you look at her." 

"I look at her like a regular person. No different that anyone else." 

"Ghost." He tilts his head and smiles. "You and I both know that's not true. You were the one that wanted to keep her here. You never told us but I'm sure it's because you couldn't stand the idea of her being alone in this time."

I didn't say anything. I took a sip from my glass.

"I'm right, aren't I?" He says.

I sigh. "Look, what's between me and her is not important. There's nothing between us. Shes just a nice woman that I rescued." 

"And the woman you met at the bar?" he says. I narrow my eyes at him

"How do you know about that?" 

"Word gets around. A few soldiers saw you."  He says. 

Of course they did. For once, I finally get a time to be on my own and some soldiers are there.

"Okay, yeah. I met her a while back but there is still nothing between us." 

I drink down the last of my scotch. I stand up from the table and look down at Soap.

"I'm going to go get some work done." I say starting to walk off.

"Or are you going to think about her, and ya know...?" Soap smirks. I don't even look at him and walk off rolling my eyes.

I get to my office. I shut the door behind me and place my jacket on the hook. I sigh and sit at my desk chair. The papers in front of me taunt me. They had to be done but one thing was on my mind.