𝟐𝟕 ════ 𝐊𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐓𝐡𝐲 𝐄𝐧𝐞𝐦𝐲

ESTELLA DELACOUR was at a crossroads. She didn't know what to feel. Anxiety clung to her bones, and fear pumped in her blood. There was no telling what Katherine might do, how manipulated and vindictive she could be. The ruthless vampire was like a raging fire, that destroyed everything in sight on a whim, leaving ash and blood in its wake.

What did Katherine Pierce want? The million-dollar question. What could she want so desperately that she was willing to rain blood on Mystic Falls, and manipulate everything to go her way in a game that only she knew the rules to?

Was it really only the moonstone she wanted? Or was there a much more sinister reason?

Estella stared at a shivering Caroline, wrapping a blue blanket around her, trying to comfort the blonde as much as she could. Damon handed Caroline a glass filled with blood that the blonde took with shaky hands.

 Chills ran down Caroline's spine as she explained how Katherine had cornered her and demanded the moonstone. If she didn't have it, Katherine threatened to tear the town apart.

"She wants to do it in public. Killing Mason threw her off guard," Stefan theorised, pacing up and down in thought.

"She's running scared. What she did to Jenna was desperate. She's out of tricks," Damon spoke, boredom lacing his tone. How could Damon be so calm?

Caroline flickered her gaze between them, as quiet as a mouse.

"We can't underestimate her," Stefan spoke, pointing his finger to his forehead. "We have to play this smarter than her."

Estella lay a hand on Caroline's shoulder, giving her a small smile. Caroline attempted to smile back.

"Can we just give her the moonstone so she'll leave?" Caroline questioned, her voice shaking with anxiety.

"No. Katherine's not getting dick. I've had it," Damon countered, voice filled with a strong emotion Estella couldn't name.  "I'm gonna go to the ball, and I'm gonna kill her."

Anxiety bubbled in Estella's chest again, already thinking about the consequences of their actions. If Katherine, by a turn of events, were to make it out alive. . . dire consequences would await them. Who would Katherine hunt next? Jeremy? Her mother?

"You're not gonna kill her,"

"Don't give me that."

"You're not gonna kill her."

"Oh, really?"

"Because I am."

Damon's gaze flickered to his brother in surprise before they shared a nod, mind filling with colour fantasies of killing the woman who drove the brothers apart a hundred and forty-five years ago.