Chapter 39

Alons' PoV

After sending Caelus a message, I returned to the old sofa and settled beside Arthur.

"How about you, Arthur?" I inquired.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, when do you plan to find someone to spend your life with?" I clarified.

"Oh. It's not in my immediate plans," he replied. "I suppose I have grander dreams than settling down."

"Like what?"

"Like traveling the world. One evening, I met a fascinating customer at Drunk by Daylight. He's a hiker who's journeyed across the globe. He shared many stories about his adventures."

"You find time to chat with customers. Shouldn't you be serving instead?" I teased him.

"I only chat when the bar isn't bustling. And that gentleman insisted on conversation; he felt quite lonely after all his hiking," Arthur explained.

"Sure thing, Arthur," I replied sarcastically. "Anyway, where would you go if given the chance?"

"He mentioned a trail in Japan. I heard it's lined with cherry blossoms that bloom in spring."

"That sounds wonderful," I remarked with a smile. "You should go."

"I will, but not yet. I'm feeling sleepy, so I'll turn in," Arthur said.

"Sleep well."

"What about you?"

"I'm not sleepy yet. I'll continue with my designs," I replied.

"Well then, don't stay up too late," Arthur advised. "Remember, we have the park in the morning."

"Oh, I nearly forgot. Thanks for reminding me."

"Just as I suspected. Anyway, I'll see you in the morning," he said as he headed to his room. I went to the kitchen, poured myself some coffee, and returned to work. After a couple of hours of sketching, my eyes grew weary. I decided to call it a night and headed to my room. Miu was still peacefully asleep. I approached him, planting a gentle kiss on his forehead. I reminisced about a year ago when I contemplated giving him up. I'm grateful I didn't; it would've been the gravest mistake of my life.

I feel sorrow for him, that his existence stemmed from that night. But I remind myself to let go of the past and forge a brighter future for Miu. And that's precisely what I'll do. I'll do everything in my power to protect him. Satisfied after gazing at my son, I crawled into bed, letting sleep envelop me.

The next day arrived, and I woke up early as usual. Miu was still sleeping soundly. I whispered a good morning to him before leaving the room. In the kitchen, I found Arthur already busy chopping ingredients.

"You're up early," I remarked.

"Yeah, I got an early start," he replied.

"What are you doing?" I asked, noticing the pile of chopped ingredients on the counter.

"I'm preparing some food for the picnic at the park later," he explained.

"You're making a lot."

"Well, we'll be there until lunchtime," he replied.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" I offered.

"Do you want to prepare something special?" he asked.

"I'm craving my mom's cooking lately," I admitted. "Let me see what's in the fridge first." I retrieved some chicken from the freezer to defrost.

"So, what are you going to prepare?" Arthur inquired when he saw the chicken.