Chapter 44

Alon's PoV

"Here's good," I told Caelus as we approached the alley leading to my home.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes," I affirmed. "My place is just at the end of that alley."

"Very well, if you insist," he conceded. "Take the day to rest."

"But what about work?" I queried. "I could still make it to SkyHaven Toys this afternoon."

"No," he asserted firmly. "I'll speak with HR and arrange for you to take a sick day."

"But-"

"No more objections, Loony," he interjected. "Remember, I'm still your boss. Speaking as the Chief Operating Officer of the company."

"I understand, Sir Caelus," I teased lightly, offering a smile. He returned it with a nod.

"I should be going now," I informed him.

"Don't forget these," he said, handing me some paper bags. We'd picked up pastries before heading home.

"Thank you for these," I expressed, accepting them.

"A kiss will suffice," he joked.

"Seriously?" I questioned, then leaned in to kiss his cheek. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"I'll be looking forward to it," he replied. I exited the car and made my way towards the alley. Though still uneasy, I felt more confident. It seemed like an eternity before I reached the wooden fence. Opening the gate, I admired Mrs. Gibson's mini-garden; the flowers appeared even lovelier than yesterday morning. Shaking my head in amazement, I entered the apartment complex. The building was the same, yet the ambiance felt different. Had they installed new lights? The hallways seemed brighter. Climbing the staircase to the second floor, I headed straight to our apartment.

I spotted Mrs. Gibson twirling around with Miu in her arms, trying to keep him entertained.

"Loony!" she exclaimed as soon as she caught sight of me. "Where have you been? Arthur and I were beside ourselves with worry."

"I'm truly sorry," I apologized. "I've just been discharged from the hospital."

"The hospital?!" she gasped. "Are you alright? What happened?!"

"It's a bit of a saga, but I'm alright now," I reassured her.

"M-mama!" Miu called out, reaching towards me.

"I'll just hop in the shower first, my love," I informed him, sending him kisses. I made my way to the bedroom to fetch some fresh clothes, then headed to the bathroom for a quick shower. While looking at myself in the mirror, I noticed a mark on my neck. I inspected it closely, puzzled as to how it got there. I couldn't recall anything.

I remembered Arthur mentioning something about alphas marking their omegas by biting the scent glands during intimate moments. But I was unconscious the whole time, and nothing of the sort happened between Caelus and me. Besides, if I were marked, it would signify a binding between us as mates. That couldn't possibly be the case. I hastily dressed upon hearing Miu's cries.

"Miu, Mama's here," I comforted, taking him from Mrs. Gibson. "Did you miss me?"

"Mama," he murmured, wrapping his arms around me tightly and laying his head on my chest.

"Oh, my sweet little one."

*****

Days went by, and Caelus and I continued our outings, from romantic dinners to fun-filled adventures like the day he took me to a theme park.