Chapter 51

Alon's Point of View

It's been nearly two years since I left everything behind. Watching Miu grow so quickly is astounding. Yet, despite the passage of time, it's still difficult to shake off the pain from what happened between Caelus and me. I loved him deeply, and it stings to realize he was only kind to me because he suspected me of being involved in Sir Carl's scheme against him.

Life in this new place hasn't been easy, but I hold onto the hope of finding happiness. Despite the interest shown by other Alphas, I can't reciprocate their feelings. Caelus' mark still lingers on me, serving as a constant reminder of what once was. Instead, I focus on raising Miu on my own. The property I purchased from Jason's sister boasts a favorable location, though not as close to the sea as I had hoped. Nonetheless, we make it a point to spend Sundays by the shore, building sandcastles and collecting seashells together. Whenever curious passersby inquire about Miu's father, I stick to the same story I've always told, refusing to acknowledge Caelus' true identity.

I've established a small shop in the city's Botanical Garden, where I sell painted ceramic and clay pots alongside my own artwork. Initially unfamiliar with plants, I've gradually learned the trade, thanks to the guidance of fellow sellers. It's through this journey that I've come to understand Mrs. Gibson's love for gardening.

Today is Sunday. Miu and I have just returned from bonding at the seashore and are now making our way to our shop in the Botanical Garden.

"Miu, let's jump!" I encourage as we reach the vibrant street tiles. Taking his hand, we hop along the colorful path. Suddenly, a commotion nearby catches my attention. Amidst the crowd, I spot a man with golden hair and a familiar frame. In an instant, I recognized him. Without hesitation, I scoop Miu up and dart into the nearest building, a convenience store.

"Mama!" Miu exclaims, pointing at the food display. "I'm hungry."

"Yes, sweetheart. Let's get some food," I reassure him, my mind racing with questions. Why is Caelus here? Has he found me? No, it must be a coincidence.

"He won't find me," I reassure myself. Caelus has already severed ties with me at SkyHaven Toys, making it clear he wants nothing to do with me. I'm fine with that, as long as he remains unaware of Miu. That man has a history of causing harm, and I'll do whatever it takes to shield my son from him. Spending a few extra minutes in the convenience store wasn't part of my plan, but it seems I have no choice.

"He's adorable! What's his name?" the store clerk asks upon seeing Miu. "What's your name, little guy?"

"Miu," he replies, eliciting a smile from the clerk.

"Is he your son?" she inquires next, to which I nod. "His father must be quite handsome."

"My son surpasses him in charm," I quip.

"Alright, Mom," she teases as she starts scanning my items. Stepping out of the store, I hope to avoid running into Caelus. It's best to steer clear of him. Miu and I head to the bus stop, him clutching a pack of cotton candy adorned with cartoon characters. It's been two years since I left, and I often wonder about my friends. I never divulged my whereabouts to them, fearing Caelus might track me down.

"I should pay them a visit soon," I resolved. I miss the camaraderie of the Art Department at SkyHaven Toys Company. It was a good time while it lasted.

"Mama, I want the doggy!" Miu suddenly exclaims, pointing at a plush toy carried by another child nearby. My heart skips a beat as I recognize the 'doggy'—it's one of my designs from SkyHaven. Did Caelus really turn my designs into toys? But why?

"We'll get it next time," I say, trying to reason with Miu.

"Mama!" he cries, still fixated on the plush toy. "I want the doggy!"