Chapter 37

Alon's PoV

I returned to the Art Department, still clutching the unexpected gift from Sir Caelus. It struck me how oblivious he seemed to its true value—a dilemma I grappled with as I walked through the door.

"What's with the frown again, Loony?" Bryan inquired as soon as I entered, eyeing the paper bag I set on the desk. We both stared at it, curiosity piqued. "So, what's catching our attention?"

I opted for silence, taking a seat and retrieving the box from the bag instead.

"Whoa, nice phone!" Bryan exclaimed, impressed. "I had no idea you were rolling in it. You always seem so low-key."

"I'm not," I interjected. "And I'm not one to splurge on expensive items."

"Okay," he replied skeptically.

"A friend gave it to me," I clarified.

"Ah," he murmured, still skeptical. "Well, whoever they are, they're incredibly generous. My best friend barely remembers my birthday, let alone gifts me anything. Wait, is it your birthday?"

"No, not at all."

"Hmm, fair enough. Just unbox your new phone," Bryan urged, curious. So, I did, peeling away the plastic covering and lifting the lid with unease, eyeing the sleek device nestled within. "What are you waiting for?" Bryan prodded, and I gingerly lifted the phone from its packaging. Since I wasn't familiar with its features, Bryan guided me through them. "Now you can take pictures of your son and show us."

"I certainly will," I agreed, a smile breaking through. After Bryan's brief tutorial, I devoted myself to the designs I'd been crafting.

Before I knew it, the day had slipped away, marking another end to my time at SkyHaven. As I tidied up, my phone chimed, signaling an incoming call. Without checking the screen, I knew who it was. I answered promptly.

"Hello," a deep voice greeted me from the other end. "Loony."

"Hi there," I responded. "Is there something I can assist you with, Sir?"

"We're friends now; yet, you still address me as Sir?" he remarked, sounding mildly irked.

"It feels appropriate," I reasoned.

"Oh, come on. You're off the clock, right?"

"Yes," I confirmed.

"Meet me in the lobby."

"Why?" I inquired curiously.

"I'm feeling a bit lonely and could use company for dinner," he explained. "Are you available?"

"Well..."

"If you can't, it's no problem," he assured.

"I'll join you," I promptly agreed.

"Excellent. See you in the lobby," he said before disconnecting. I returned my phone to my pocket and hastily packed up.

"Bryan, I'm heading out," I informed him before rushing out of the Art Department. Soon, I spotted Sir Caelus standing before a sizable painting. I approached him cautiously. "Sir Caelus," I called out. He turned to me with a smile before returning his gaze to the painting. I followed suit, studying the artwork—a depiction of an ancient scene of a people waving goodbye to a certain person who I assume is about to leave, a curious addition to a toy company's lobby.

"Do you know what this painting is called?" he inquired, his gaze fixed on the artwork.

"Sorry, Sir, I'm not familiar with it," I confessed.

"It's called Aeneas' Departure," he revealed. "It was inspired from the journey of Aeneas, a Trojan hero, as he flees the burning city of Troy and embarks on a quest to found a new homeland in Italy, fulfilling his destiny as the ancestor of Rome. Along the way, he faces numerous challenges and battles, guided by divine intervention, and ultimately establishes the foundation for the future Roman Empire. What are your thoughts on it?"