Chapter 36

Alon's Point of View

"Miu, my baby," I whispered tenderly as I lifted him from Mrs. Gibson's arms. "Have you been a good boy today?"

"He's been an angel," Mrs. Gibson assured me with a warm smile. "He didn't fuss at all. Well, I'll be on my way now."

"Thank you so much for looking after Miu," I expressed my gratitude as we made our way towards the doorway.

"It's always a pleasure; don't worry about a thing. Get some rest," she replied kindly.

"You too." I was about to close the door when I spotted Arthur emerging in the corridor. I waited for him. "Hey."

"Did you just get back?" he inquired, closing the door behind him.

"Yeah," I confirmed. "Have you had dinner?"

"I have. What about you?"

"My boss took me out to a restaurant earlier," I informed him.

"The one who gave you those chocolate truffles?" he remembered.

"That's the one," I affirmed.

"Huh, seems like you and your boss are hitting it off," he commented as he headed towards the kitchen. I observed him grabbing a glass and filling it with water.

"Not really," I clarified. "He just wanted someone to have dinner with. He spotted me at the bus stop."

"Small world," Arthur muttered sarcastically before taking a sip of water. "I'm beat. Heading to bed."

"Sure," I replied. He disappeared into his room, leaving me to sway gently as I watched Miu's peaceful expression. Since Arthur moved in with us, we upgraded to a larger apartment in the building. Tigger, our cat, had taken a liking to Arthur's room.

"You should go to sleep too, little one," I murmured to Miu, humming a lullaby as he gradually drifted off. Once he was asleep, I placed him in his crib. After changing into comfortable clothes, I resumed working on my designs. It helped me unwind before bed. In the quiet of the night, I found myself pondering the conversation I had with Sir Caelus at the fancy restaurant earlier. I couldn't help but wonder why he wasn't close with his family or if there was anyone special in his life. I mean, I'm sure plenty of omegas would swoon over him. I admit, he's attractive, but I'm content with Miu.

THE NEXT DAY...

As soon as Mrs. Gibson arrived at our flat to care for Miu, I left the neighborhood and headed to SkyHaven. I arrived earlier than usual; most of my co-workers hadn't arrived yet when I entered the Art Department. Walking straight to my workspace, I was surprised to find a paper bag on my desk. I approached it cautiously. "What's this?" I muttered, eyeing it from a distance. A familiar sticky note was attached to it, bearing the subtle print of a bird, just like the ones I use. I picked up the note and read its contents.

"Take this. So I could call you whenever I feel like eating with someone," it read. I immediately knew who it was from. Opening the paper bag, I peeked inside to find a white box, which I pulled out.

"No way," I gasped when I saw the familiar logo on the side. On top was a photo of a phone—an iPhone 15 Pro. I'd seen countless advertisements for this particular model and occasionally checked it out in the mall. "Why is he giving me something like this?" I wondered aloud. No, I couldn't accept it. I returned the box to the paper bag. "I should return it." After placing my duffle bag beside my chair, I left the Art Department and headed to the elevator, pressing the button for Sir Caelus' office floor.

It didn't take long to reach my destination. Stepping out of the elevator, I traversed the hallway until I spotted a woman sitting at a desk near Sir Caelus' office—probably his secretary. I quietly approached her.

"Um, good morning," I greeted her. She was engrossed in typing on her computer but paused to look up at me. "I'm sorry to interrupt, but is Sir Caelus in?" I asked politely.

"And you are?" she inquired.

"I'm Alon Williams, Senior Artist from the Art Department," I introduced myself.

"I don't believe you have an appointment with him," she stated.

"Oh, I don't... actually have an appointment," I awkwardly explained, scratching my head.

"Are you here to confess your feelings for him?" she asked suspiciously. "Many omegas have tried, but he's not interested in anyone other than Sir Jun."

"Who's that?" I asked, intrigued.

"The only omega that he loved," she replied sadly. "But it's sad that things have come to an end for them."

"Oh, they broke up," I assumed.

"Nope, he's dead," she said bluntly, causing me to wince.

"Anyway, I'm not here for that," I quickly interjected. "I need to return something to him." I showed her the paper bag. We were both startled when someone cleared his throat. I turned around and saw Sir Caelus behind me.

"Good morning, Sir Caelus," his secretary and I greeted him politely.

"Good morning. Looney, why are you here? Is there any problem?" he asked me, his brow furrowing when he saw what I was holding. "Come to my office." I followed him inside. "Have a seat."

"Um, there's no need, Sir," I declined. "I just wanted to return this."

"Why?" he asked, surprised. "That's not the thanks I was expecting. Don't you like it? Do you prefer another color, brand, or model?"

"No, Sir. I don't want any of those. In fact, I'm grateful for this," I corrected him. "But I don't understand why you want to give me something so expensive."

"Haven't you read the sticky note on the bag?" he inquired.

"I have, but still... I can't accept this," I insisted, trying to return the paper bag to him. He simply stared at it and smiled.

"Well, I wanted to be friends with you," he explained. My eyebrows furrowed.

"Be friends with me?" I repeated incredulously. "Why do you want to be friends with me?"

"Well, I just find you interesting, and I feel comfortable around you. Didn't you tell me last night that I should call you whenever I feel lonely?"

"Sir, no offense, but you're making it sound rather weird," I commented, which elicited a laugh from him.

"Why? Is there someone who would get mad if I flirt with you?" he teased.

"No, no one," I replied. "You're just kidding, right?"

"Yeah," he confirmed. "But I'm still open to possibilities. Take it. I don't need another one, and I'll just throw it away."

"Throw it away?" I reacted in horror. "Do you know how much this is?"

"I'm not sure," he replied casually. "Well, I guess you do, that's why I'm leaving the decision to you. Would you return it to me, only for it to end up in the trash bin? Or keep it and make good use of it? Just think of it as a token of our newly found friendship."

"Fine," I conceded softly, nodding. He smiled.

"I already saved my phone number there," he explained. "I already have that phone's number. I'll call you later."

I nodded. "I, uh, need to get back to the Art Department, Sir. Thank you for this."

"No big deal. Work hard," he encouraged as I exited his office, still feeling bewildered by the exchange.