Chapter 50

Caelus's Point of View

"Sir Caelus," Mirabel's voice called out as she entered the office, breaking the tranquil ambiance. My gaze shifted from the captivating view outside the towering window to meet her arrival. "Miss Layla has arrived."

"Please, show her in," I instructed before Mirabel left to usher her in. Placing my coffee mug down on the desk, I prepared for her entrance.

"Hey there, Mister Cold as ice," Layla greeted as she stepped into the room, her tone teasing yet warm. With a reciprocated smile, I closed the distance between us, enveloping her in a familiar embrace.

"It's been too long," I remarked as we parted. "How was your trip to Germany?"

"Actually, it was quite enjoyable," she replied, her voice carrying traces of excitement as we moved towards the seating area.

"Care for a drink?" I offered, gesturing towards the refreshments.

"Tequila, perhaps?" she suggested, eliciting a slight crease of concern on my forehead.

"In an office setting?" I chuckled lightly, unable to suppress a smile at her jest.

"Just pulling your leg," she quipped with a laugh, her light-heartedness contagious.

"Some things never change," I remarked.

"Speaking of change, your office remains remarkably consistent," she observed, casting her gaze around the familiar space. "Save for that new painting," she added, gesturing towards the recently acquired portrait.

As she broached the topic, a weight settled in my chest. "No, I haven't found him," I admitted with a shake of my head. For two years, I'd pursued every lead, employing private investigators and scouring databases, all in search of Loony. Despite retracing his favorite haunts, like the Filipino diner, he remained elusive, leaving me with nothing but unanswered questions and lingering hope.

"Isn't it time for you to let go of him?" Layla gently suggested.

"No, I can't," I replied firmly. "Loony is my mate, and I've already marked him. It's a bond we share... That's why I can't stop searching for him."

"I understand. Forget what I said," Layla responded, her tone softening.

"Why does it feel like he's avoiding me?" I mused, my gaze still fixed on the painting. "I miss him, and I need to mend what we had. I won't give up on him, even if it means searching every corner of the world."

"I'm sure you'll find him soon," Layla reassured me.

"That's all I've been dreaming of," I admitted softly. "I can't bear another day knowing he's out there, possibly angry with me. It's been two years, and it's wearing me down."

"You'll meet again," Layla said with conviction. "Remember how he returned to SkyHaven Toys? Fate works in mysterious ways. Maybe he needs time to heal and reflect."

"He could have at least reached out," I lamented.

"But you know that's not his way. He knows you're a strong alpha," Layla pointed out.

I sighed, feeling the weight of the situation.

"Anyway, I'm going on vacation tomorrow," I changed the subject.

"Oh? Where are you headed? Another business meeting abroad?"

"No," I replied. "A year ago, I bought a property by the sea."

"Really? Did you build an office there? Perhaps a new SkyHaven Toys branch?" she asked, intrigued.

"A house, actually," I revealed.