1. Walking corpses.

Since she was young, her life was perfect. Gorgeous mom, hardworking dad, beautiful home, and an adorable sister. Life couldnt get any better for Danielle Mae Rhodes and her little sister Daisy Jane. However, the world within their view crumbled to ashes on a random Wednesday in 2010.

The pair was at the bus stop, taking in the fresh morning air. Daisy's light pink backpack sat on her back, her matching chucks worn out on her feet.

"Dani how much longerrr

"Dani how much longerrr."

Daisy complains, her eyes flicking behind her eyelids. Danielle stares at her watch, reading 7:04am.

"Not long Dais, the bus is late today."

Daisy nods, her older sister playing with the braids on her head. Daisy watches, picking at her own knotted hair.

"I thought mom told you to brush your hair?"

Daisy's blue eyes looked up into Dani's green ones and she shakes her head.

"I dont need to brush it."

A quiet chuckle is Dani's only reply, and she cups the back of Daisy's head.

Dani was only in the 5th grade when the apocalypse began, her sister only a 1st grader. Their mother was a nurse, and their dad owned a cafe. Amber Rhodes and her husband, Sean Rhodes. The pair were paranoid most of the time, and the man kept several years worth of food at their bar. So, when the world went to absolute shit, where do you think they headed? The cafe. Sean picked up his two daughters from the bus stop where they had been sitting for hours, because the bus never came. His varied collection of guns and knives were splayed out in the backseat, and the girls sat in wonder.

"Dani, Im scared."

The little blonde whispers, leaning her head on her sister's arm.

"It's gonna be okay Dais..I think? Daddy what's going on?"

Sean peers back at his girls throught the rearview mirror, shaking his head at his eldest daughter.

"Dais, why dont you listen to my music?"

Dani pulls her small walkman out of her backpack, placing it over Daisy's tiny ears. The young girl giggles joyfully, humming along to a quiet song.

"Danielle I wish I could tell you what's going on, but I honestly dont know. Your mom called from work, she was panicking. All I could make out was that there were corpses. But they were walking."

Danielle's eyebrows furrow as she searches her meek mind for understanding.

"Like..zombies?"

She asks, landing on the only knowledge of the dead coming alive that she has.

"I guess so. Remember when i taught you how to shoot that gun and use that knife?"

The girl nods swiftly, and her father's eyes flick back to the road.

"Both of them are in that seat. I brought the holsters too, strap 'em on."

Sean says as he turns into the small parking lot of their cafe. Dani's face falls slightly, and she reaches for the small holsters. One straps around her body, and the other to her thigh. She tosses her backpack on the floor board, strapping both holsters to her body mindlessly. Her father slams the car in park, hopping out and opening the back door.

"Alright bug, come on out."

He persuades his younger daughter, taking the headphones off her small head. She smiles, climbing into his arms. Her innocence was almost sickening to Danielle. The world was falling apart, and her sister was smiling.

The three of them walk into the cafe, the older girl carrying an arrangement of weapons that a 12 year old should not be comfortable with. 2 shotguns, 3 pistols, 4 knives, and a machete. Danielle and Daisy take their usual place at a small table in the corner, and their father immediately goes to the sink. He turns the nob, and water flows out of the faucet.

"Thank God."

He mumbles, grabbing a bucket from beside the sink. He fills buckets, and bottles, and anything he can find to the brim.

"Daddy, what're you doing?"

Daisy giggles, looking to her father with curious eyes.

"We dont know when the water's gonna cut out, Im trying to get as much as I can while I still can. Do either of you have any bottles or anything?"

Dani's eyes roll back into her head, and she looks at her nervous father.

"There's a well out front. We'll still have water."

The bar was built out of an old barn, the girls had used the well out front several times while playing. Her father sighs, his paranoia subsiding slightly.

"You're right. I-Im sorry. Im just panicking a little."

"Where's mommy?"

Daisy whines, tears filling her eyes. Dani looks down at the table, realizing the statistical fate of her dear mother. Her father comforts her sister, and she drowns out their quiet conversation.
Thoughts were rushing through her head. Where's mom? What's gonna happen to her family? Is she ever gonna see her friends again? She recalls her friends that sit at her lunch table, wondering where each of them are. Lucy, Evangeline, Emery, Bentley, Brett, Carl, and Prince. The group had been friends since kindergarten, and now she was never gonna see them again. Little did she know, one of them was safe and sound with his mom.