13. New normal.

outfits:

5 𝘥𝘢𝘺𝘴 𝘭𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳

5 𝘥𝘢𝘺𝘴 𝘭𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳

"Here you are! All settled!"

I smile at Carl, and he sits on the edge of the bed. He smiles back weakly, and I lean back on his dresser.

"Uhm..I gotta change my bandage. Can you help?"

Carl whispers, looking at me through his long eyelashes. I feel horrible for him. He hasnt seen it yet.

"Yeah, of course."

I slowly walk over to him and take his hand. I intertwine our fingers and pull him into our shared bathroom. He stands in front of the mirror, and I dig under the counter, collecting the materials for his new bandage.

"Y'know Denise was a big help, she helped me bring all of your stuff and put it under here. She even gave me a list, and like how to take care of it."

I ramble, placing the wrap and tape on the counter. I set up the gauze on the wrap, and look over at Carl.

"Do you want me to-"

"No, I got it."

He slowly brings his hands up, unwrapping his bandage leisurely.

"If you're not ready to see it we can-"

"No I wanna see it."

His words tumble out, and his bandage falls to the floor. His scarred eye socket is revealed, the area around it bloody. I watch his face fall, tears spilling out of his good eye. His breath is shaky, and his lips are quivering.

"Nell, holy shit. It- It's so bad.."

He stutters, quiet sobs filling the small bathroom.

"It's okay Carl, it's okay. Just dont look, okay?"

I grab his shoulders, slowly turning him to face me. I slowly pull him into me, his good eye burying in my shoulder. Tears coat my white shirt, and I rub his back. I've never felt more sympathetic in my life. I wish I could take it all away, all the pain, physical and mental.

"shh..Im not going anywhere."

My words are barely above a whisper, and I kiss his temple. I run one hand through his hair, scratching his back with the other. He pulls away after a few minutes, looking up to me. I smile weakly at him, cupping his cheek.

"You got my shirt soaked you assface."

I chuckle, and he does too, sniffling.

"What could I do to make you feel better?"

I whisper, and he teasingly smirks down at me. I scoff and roll my eyes, playfully pushing his shoulder.

"Gross."

He laughs, and I wipe the stray tears beneath his eye.

"Alright, let me wrap it back up. Is that okay?"