34|When Things Go Awry

Author

Vidyut sits on his side of the bed going through his emails and waiting. The meeting he had ended a while ago. The deal, almost made. All they had to do now was get onto legal procedures. Now as the clock reads eleven five, he sits waiting for his wife to get back so he can cuddle up and sleep after a long working day.

It's unlike him.

He's never been so into someone before. He's never been dependent on someone as much as he knows he's growing towards her. He needs her at every waking point of the day in his own house. Like an inseparable part of him.

She's made herself inseparable from him.

It all started like a new thing. The first time she walked into their room while he was getting dressed for the office, smiled faintly at him while taking position in front of him as he stood in front of the vanity mirror tying his tie. She'd taken a hold of his tie that day like it was the most natural thing she'd done, straightened it out while moving a gentle hand over his chest and tied it neatly around his neck for him. Then swiftly, like she'd done this forever and is not her first time, moved on to holding his hand and fastening cufflinks for him before she clasped his wrist watch on.

All the while, the man stood frozen and dazed by the beauty. His breath caught in throat, like any other part, only his eyes functioning, capturing every little of her presence and action into his heart and mind like an ink itched on the wood.

Just like that she'd robbed his right to breath.

For the first time in a long while, after meeting this woman he was experiencing the act of being taken care of. She'd been doing it for a long while now. From the time they'd met, throughout during their honeymoon and now as they are back home, slipping into a routine together.

Being taken care of. One of the many things he didn't bother or rather didn't know was possible anymore.

He was once taken care of, just like this. And now too he has people who care immensely for him. He knows that. But there is a difference between having people who care and being taken care of.

One gives you assurance that no matter what they'll be there for you and another gives you or rather promises you, be it whatever, they are never going to let you have to fall back. And the latter, they become an integral part of your life.

Like his wife.

He knew it was inevitable to not fall for her. He knew that since the day he got engaged to her, he was sure of it. Because that night she had stirred more emotions inside him than he'd ever experienced feeling ever before.

Everything came after that was slow hazy days of falling for her. Deep and hard. He liked her long back- the first time they met in that restaurant, he came to like her just listening to her words and that smile. He was into her even before, like a day before he actually met, that beautiful face of his wife had caught his attention and captured an attraction towards her. But then like a game changer, he got to meet her, talk to her and got to know her. And during the process, he left small pieces of his heart, little by little for her and at this point it was wholly gone.

A simple like turned into a little more, a notch more, a hinch more and then,-- Boom! She stepped out that night to tag along with him for a ten rupees tea on his bike and- Woosh, there he signed his heart out ready to sell his soul at one snap of her finger.

The man was floored would be an understatement.

And at this point the word of confession lingered on his tongue more than often. After each kiss all he wants to whisper against those plump swollen lips these days is how much he loves her. But for some reason which he can't pinpoint, he hasn't done that yet.