Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Daisy POV

Keith's Book Club was like going on the red carpet; you just had to look your best. Sneakers and leggings with an oversized T-shirt just don't make it; after all, this was an Elite book club. Believe me, it happened, and it was terrible.

I wasn't Elite, and I get the question: how did I get accepted into the Keith's Book Club? The answer is fairly simple: an acquaintance who knows a friend who knows another friend. I used to work at Keith's library, surrounded by what I adored most: books. I spent hours reading novels and ruining the endings for clients, and long story short, I was fired. But... there is always a, but.

But I redeemed myself with Ms. Keith, and before I knew it, I was standing at the Keith Book Club, dressed in leggings, shoes, and an enormous T-shirt. I assumed it was simply a typical book club with nerds.

Boy, was I mistaken!

It was with rich people in town who enjoyed reading top-tier novels, as well as writers who aspired to be top-tier authors. I was one of them. When I joined, Bethany Holden was not a member of the club, and everything was OK. My awful book was in the shadows and didn't appear too bad, but Bethany was the devil of the morning star, bringing it to light and knocking me out of the game.

I was angry!

I tightened the little belt that was fastened around my waist to avoid looking like a cereal box and a school bus having a child.

The Keith's Book Club met every night. I went there every night save for those three days. I opened the door that goes inside the Library. The library has a computer lab, a newspaper archive, and, of course, a large collection of books and novels. I moved to the rear of the library, where there were several chairs arranged in a 360-degree circle. Mr. Keith would sit in the middle and read anything he wanted, which might be any book.

See! So far, it's just a regular book club, and there was no need to dress up, but as I often say in this town, everything is exaggerated.

Everyone stood around, each holding a flute of champagne or wine. There was a server, and he was my friend. I am the only one he speaks to since he always says that everyone has a stick shoved up their butts.

"You made it."

I wrinkled my eyes as the stink of Jerry's pricey perfume reached my nose once more. I turned back into his arms. I ignored the aroma that was irritating my nose. "I did."

"That dress looks a little tight?" Nathan stated.

"Oh, stop it; she looks fantastic." Jerry murmured as he clutched his husband's arms.

I wrapped my forearm over my waist to conceal my seeming fat, which was expanding by the day. I binge ate whenever I was stressed, and I was stressed all the time, so I binged around the clock.

"You are aware that we operate a gym. We're wonderful friends, and I understand money is tight, so how about we offer you the first six months for free?" Nathan stated.

"I will think about it."

"Honey, there is nothing to ponder about?"

"I'm busy, so—."

"Busy." He snorted. Malik the waiter approached me with a platter of champagne and wine.

I was tempted to combine the two, but with Nathan's critical eyes, I opted for the larger class of wine. Malik casts a wink toward me. It was our secret code to meet in the rear of the library for a little smoke session after book club.