Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Daisy POV

"You can't do this to me." I whined to Keith, who was clearly turning his back on me. And by "turnt," I meant that he was throwing me out of the club. All hope was lost. Tonight was my final meeting.

"You literally embarrassed her on national TV."

"I was defending myself. She read my work, adored it, and then went on national television, destroying my life."

"She didn't say they would be prohibited. She believes that intersex literature ought to be prohibited. So that is most likely simply her view."

"Her viewpoint, which everyone would follow up on. Everyone adores Bethany. Basically, everything she says goes."

"If you had only pushed your jealousy aside, this wouldn't have happened. Who would sign your book today? Almost every publishing business is talking about how awful you are, and I don't want someone like you in my Book Club. You were never meant to be here."

"I don't need this."

"YOU DO." He chuckled. "This is the only book club in town, the only one that provides opportunity for writers and authors."

"I don't give fuck."

"You are welcome to attend this last gathering and deliver your final comments. Make it worthwhile."

"It will."

************

I stand in the circle. I glanced at everybody. Bethany couldn't make it, which made me glad.

I couldn't tolerate seeing her grin. What more could she want than to know I was booted. My life was breaking down around me.

"I will make it fast and snappy."

"Ok." The club members muttered. I was about to cry in front of them. No! I was going to go out like a fucking bomb.

"I'd want to explain what happened. How did I manage to wreck my life?"

"Do it quickly." Keith alerted as he tapped his wristwatch. I rolled my eyes.

"Many of us have ambitions; mine was to become a full-time novelist. But dreams weren't granted this way. It takes time. I didn't merely write the book. My first experience with a book was being surrounded by it. I had been surrounded by it for years before I picked up a pen and paper and began writing. I write differently. And, by different ways, the crowd does not follow you." I said.

"Bethany phoned me today; I gave her a sample of my novel, and she really loved it. She contacted me shortly before sunrise and threatened to ruin my life. Only thing is—"

"You're lying." Jerry scoffed as Nathan patted his shoulder and spoke to him.

"I'm not lying. She read my novel, and because it was too wonderful to steal, she went on the show and ruined me."

"Nobody will believe you." Keith sneered. "Firstly, Bethany would never."

"No!" I shouted. "The only reason Bethany is beautiful in all of your eyes is that she provides something. What is it! Money! Fake friendship! The alleged act of giving back to the community. She is nothing but a bitch."

"Watch how you say about her."

"Oh shut up, Jerry!" I snapped. "I don't want anyone to take my side. I know I'll be a terrific writer, and I'm confident my work will reach new heights."