12. Lets get drunk

I didn't bother going back to see Ellis. She wouldn't know who i am even if i did. Now i know exactly what the woman who gave me up is like. Career driven and never actually wanted kids, hmm sounds like me. That will be where i get that part of me from then. I was just getting prepared for my next surgery of the day, reading through the charts when Dr Webber approached me.

Richard- Dr Grey, can we have a talk please.

Shell- of course, sir.

He guided me over to an empty patient room.

Shell- whats up?

Richard- i'm sorry to have to tell you this but your mother, just had a heart attack and im afraid she didn't make it.

Shell- okay.

Richard- that's it?

Shell- what do you expect me to say.

Richard- well i don't know but i wasn't expecting just "okay"

Shell- i didn't know the woman, other than reading about her achievements when i was in med school. i didn't know she was my mother then. To me she was just another patient.

Richard- right... okay then. I have sent Meredith home for the rest of the day. I have covered the rest of your day too. Go be with her. She might need somebody.

Shell- with all due respect sir, i would rather be here. I am probably the worst person for Meredith right now.

Richard- then just go home. Your are no longer needed today.

Shell- but sir?

Richard- no buts Dr Grey!

I left the bar and went straight to Joe's. There was hardly anybody there which is how i like it. I ordered my drink and took a seat at a table on my own. I felt really frustrated about the events of the day. Ordinarily I would confide in Arizona but she isn't here and I am not entirely sure of the time difference between here and Malawi. So i thought fuck it ill get drunk instead. One bottle soon turned into 5 and i was feeling pretty drunk. As i got to the bar to buy my next drink a man sat beside me.

Scott- hey, I'm Scott, can i buy you a drink?

Shell- sorry, I'm drinking alone and you're really not my type

Scott- oh I didn't mean anything from it. You look upset that's all.

Shell- i wouldn't say im upset, pissed off yes but not upset.

Scott- right, okay.

Shell- fine... I'll have a beer. Names Shell.

Scott- it's nice to meet you Shell.

We took a seat at the table and chatted the night away. I had told him multiple times i wasn't interested in him but i must admit that talking helped.

Scott- so clearly you are not originally from around here.

Shell- born and raised it Boston

Scott- i knew it. You can tell by your accent.

Shell- um, thanks.

Scott- so what made you so pissed you needed to get drunk on your own?

Shell- my best friend is in Africa and my mother died this afternoon.

Scott- crap, sorry to hear that.

Shell- i'm not. I didn't know her until this morning. She abandoned me when i was 2 days old.

Scott- oh...

Shell- i know real conversation stopper.

Scott- yeah, i guess.