16. Four days of hell

Michelle's pov

We have been lost in the woods for 2 days now. we are rationing the water between us but we are quickly running out. Cristina wants us to all stay awake which is easier said than done. I haven't felt well at all. It was getting late on the second night and Arizona had just fallen asleep beside me. I could feel myself wanting to go to sleep too, but I was scared, not only in case i didn't wake back up again, but also because not too far away from our makeshift camp I could hear animals wandering in the darkness. I couldn't tell what animal it was at first. As they clearly started fighting I could tell they were wolves. I looked over at an equally worried Cristina, who made her way over to me.

Shell- is that what i think that is?

Cristina- I think its wolves.

Shell- yeah, that's what I thought. 

We both sat in silence, each knowing what the wolves were fighting over in the darkness, but neither of us wanted to admit it. At one point it sounded like they were really close to where we were. As the fear built up inside me, I moved my hand and took hold of Arizona's. I felt her stir a little in her sleep, but she didn't wake up. I sat like that for the rest of the night. my eyes darted about with each noise that was heard. As dawn broke on the morning of the third day I felt awful. The pain in my abdomen had not eased. I felt Arizona wake up beside me, she looked exhausted and in pain. 

Arizona- hey.

Shell- hey

Arizona- have you been awake all night?

Shell- mhmm. 

Arizona- how is your pain this morning?

Shell- Yeah... it's fine (i lied)

Arizona- good. 

As the day dragged by we sadly ran out of water. I started to feel incredibly weak. The dehydration and lack of sleep was starting to affect me. The pain from the miscarriage was getting to me too. I didn't tell anybody and just tried to carry on. Arizona and I went to see if we could find anymore water bottles anywhere in the debris. there was nothing, it was useless and a waste of our energy. I noticed that my temperature kept fluctuating throughout the day, one minute i felt boiling hot, the next i was freezing cold. I'm pretty sure I had some sort of infection. We made our way back to camp and sat, wrapping ourselves up in the blanket. as the hours passed, I could feel myself getting weaker and weaker. It was getting late that night when Arizona finally noticed that I was getting worse. She kept holding onto my wrist checking my pulse rate. I could tell she was worried and I could also see how weak she was getting too. I closed my eyes for what i thought was a second when I was shaken awake.

Arizona- Grey, Grey. hey you need to stay awake.

Shell(breathless)- I, can't... I think, I'm dying.

Arizona- no, no your not, okay. you can't. 

Shell(breathless)- but I'm so cold... 

Arizona(hugging shell)- let me try to warm you up. I got you... Shell, you're burning up, 

Shell(breathless)- I can't, I can't breathe properly.

Arizona- hey, hey I'm here, breathe with me. you have an infection, we need to cool you down.

Shell- but I'm freezing and I just want to sleep.

Arizona- no, you can't you need to stay awake... I know, Let's talk about something, okay...oh remember back at Hopkins when it was your 21st birthday and we went out drinking and you got so drunk you slept in my bathtub. 

Shell(laughing slightly)- yeah, that hurt the next morning.

Arizona- or the time we got high after Louise dumped me and you decided we needed to go to the store to buy snacks.