Bygone Memories - Karma

#####

"Sans, where did you get that ability from?"

"Hm? Which one are you talking about?"

"The mind-reading one."

"Sorry, I can't read anyone's minds. Nor would I want to be able to do that "

"Then how in the skies above and the ground below can you always tell when anyone's lying?"

"Oh, that. To be honest, I'm not the only one able to do this. Papyrus can as well, it's just that he keeps it to himself."

"You dodged the question."

"I don't know. It's just an innate skill that we were created with, though we couldn't use it much when we were younger. Me Papy discovered that we could understand anything that was said to a deeper level, people's truths and their lies."

"That doesn't explain much, now does it?

"*Sigh* Think of it like this. Humans have specific traits yes?"

"Yep, some are inherently kind while others were born to take advantage of that kindness."

"These traits can affect their broader state of mind and moral compass, which they rely on to make their choices."

"I'm following."

"In these traits lie invisible statistics, bits of information that slide up and down based on what they have done. An example of this is someone's Karma. This slider moves up and down based on the people they've helped and the people they have hurt."

"Okay..."

"Our powers depend on these sliders, we can detect a change in a specific set of sliders and based on that, make our judgment. Or in your case, we could tell if you had lied or not."

"Can you detect a change in Karma?"

"Me? No. The same goes for Papyrus. Our 'vision' only allows us to see the lies someone has made, and the people they have killed. Asgore on the other hand, can detect levels and changes in Karma. However, he can't execute people based on that. He knows as well as the rest of us that power of death can only be used when there fair judgement.That's where we come in. We decide if their Karma is worth the persecution."

"Very interesting. So you're just a living lie detector?"

"That is kinda of degrading, but yes."

"Pfff. So what's the difference behind these secret traits anyway? Why are they secret and 'invisible' when the rest are also impossible to detect normally?"

"These are called 'invisible' traits because they can never go down. Other traits like kindness and experience can go down simply by the passage of time. They can be "accessed' and work like a true slider, able to move up and down. While the invisible traits can't change, things like the amount of death incurred, or lies told. They will never go down, not through kind actions, nor through repentance. They will only steadily rise, till their judgment death.

"So you can never make up for those kind of actions?"

"No, though they are not the sole determiners of righteousness and morality. We do still take into account their Karma in the Final Judgment."

"Scary."

"Not really. Just the truth and facts."

"So do you just get like a ding in your skull if someone tells a lie?"

"Eh, more like a tingling sensation. A feeling of something isn't right."

"Hmmm. Okay, alright, I'll make sure to remember everything you said."

"That was a lie."

"I'll remember most of it."

"Nope, still a lie."

"I'll remember some of it?"

"Didn't I just tell you that these sliders never go down?"

"You're no fun, Mr. Lie detector."

"Don't call me that, #####. I'd wished to be remembered as someone more than just a gadget or machine."