Vaughn (9)

Ever since Vaughn was born, he was bombarded with different lessons to make him the 'perfect' heir, from etiquette to physical education. Every aspect of his life was controlled to ensure he was flawless.

Only one thing was wrong: magic. Like his four other siblings, Vaughn couldn’t use the energy he was given, which made him imperfect. The duchy couldn’t have that.

“Vaughn, you ready to leave?” Nigel asked.

“What? Oh, uh... yeah, yeah. Let’s go.” The former butler looked worriedly at his ward.

“He’ll be fine, Nigel. I was like that too when I was first thrown out. I wondered what I did wrong. Was I that useless without magic that the moment he found out I couldn’t use my energy, he just threw me out? But I soon realized that he was the problem. He has this image in his head that he has to follow. In simpler terms, he’s insane,” Valeria said.

“I’m just worried. He’s taking it so well that I fear he’s keeping it in.” Nigel shared his concern. He looked outside the window and saw Vaughn fooling around with Ignacius while Lucian tiredly looked at them.

“But I’m glad. He’s laughing more, and I feel like he’s truly happy.”

“He is. I can see it. He’s happy with you guys. Take care of him.”

They went out and approached the three.

“You guys ready to go?”

They nodded. Valeria approached Vaughn and hugged him.

“Be careful, okay? Eat on time and rest when you need to. If they bully you, come back here, and I’ll impale them.”

Vaughn laughed but agreed with her.

“Be safe on the road. Remember, you will always be welcome here.”

After the goodbyes, the four of them continued on their adventures.

“Lucian, you know you don’t have to be with us. You already told us where we need to go after doing that spell last night,” Vaughn said.

“It’s fine. I don’t have anywhere to go or something to do. The bastards who trapped me in that painting are probably dead now, so I can’t get revenge or anything. Plus, this is probably the best it’s gonna get.”

“Well, if you say so.”

As they were walking, the ground started shaking.

“W-what i-i-is happe-pening?”

Chaim’s eyes widened as Nigel’s voice started to distort, as if he were a malfunctioning robot.

{Sy, what’s happening?}

After hearing no answer, Chaim started to feel uneasy.

He watched as everything around him turned into green lines of code. The bodies of Nigel, Lucian, and Ignacius started to glitch, and then they disappeared.

“What?”

Finally, everything around him turned into darkness. He couldn’t see anything, not even himself.

“This isn’t good.”

***

“What’s happening?!” a man furiously shouted at the people facing the computers.

“There seems to be a virus in the program, sir,” someone answered, their voice shaking, afraid to anger the man further.

“Then fix it!” The man slammed his hand on the desk, making the smaller items on it shake.

“We tried, sir. But the more we try to remove it, the faster it comes back and the stronger it gets.”

The man punched the desk, and the person occupying it hurriedly went away.

“Calm down. You’re not helping,” another man said as he entered the room.

“Calm down?! This is the only chance we have, and we are losing it! We are losing him.”

“Do you really believe that? I'm hurt that you have no faith in me.” The man acted hurt and placed his hand above his chest.

“Stop that. So what do we do now? We have to find that person who put that virus in our program.”

“We will. But first, let's get our second program running.”

The two men moved to a different room, this one holding only one computer. Beside it was something that looked like a chamber.

It was filled with liquid, and a naked body was floating inside with numerous tubes connected to it.

“The thing is, our second program needs someone to operate it from the inside. It’s not like the first one where we operate it from here.”

“I'll do it,” the first man confidently said.

“No. You're too reckless. No offense, but you don't think before you act.”

“Then who will do it, you? No offense, too, but I don't think you fit the job description.” The man jabbed back.

“Not me, idiot. I have just the man for the job.”

"Who? No. No, no, no, no, no. Not him. Anyone but him. Come on, really?"

"Do you not trust my judgement?"

"I do. It's just..."

"Then continue to trust me. You know I won't do anything to harm him. He is our entire being, my entire life. I won't jeopardise this."

"Fine, I'll call him in. I trust you, Axl."

«-Φ-»

Vaughn (9)

This took way too long. I'm sorry. Also, I just thought of this plot line like a few nights ago. I didn't know how to finish this world, so I just thought, just delete it. There was no need to finish the arc, and so we ended up with this.

Good morning, good afternoon, good evening and goodnight.

Thanks for reading!

[Tasks:]

[ERROR]

-°°§°°-

Status

ERROR