18

┌──────┐

'Garden Days'

└──────┘

###

No One

Aria woke with a heavy mind, the dim light of dawn filtering through the heavy drapes of her room. She sat up slowly, her heart pounding, the events of the previous night crashing over her like a cold wave. 

The dinner at the manor stayed in her mind, but one revelation had stood out, casting a shadow over everything else: the Dark Lord had been watching her. More than that, he had taken a particular interest in her.

She wrapped her arms around herself, shivering despite the warmth of the room. The weight of expectation suffocating. Aria's reflection in the large, gilded mirror seemed foreign to her—eyes wide with confusion, the usual confidence and poise replaced by uncertainty.

A soft knock at the door interrupted her thoughts. Aria tensed, knowing who it would be. Only one person would come to her so early.

"Aria?" Blaise's voice was gentle but insistent. "May I come in?"

Aria hesitated, her mind blank. She didn't want to see anyone. How could she explain the turmoil she felt? How could she convey the terror of knowing that she was to become a cornerstone of the Death Eaters' future?

"No, Blaise," she called out, her voice cracking. "Please, just... go away. I need to be alone."

There was a pause, then the door creaked open slightly, and Blaise stepped inside anyway. His expression was one of concern, his usually guarded demeanor softened by twin affection. He closed the door behind him and crossed the room to her side.

"Aria," he said softly, sitting on the edge of the bed. "I know you're scared. I am too. But we need to talk about this. We can't ignore what's happening."

Aria turned away, burying her face in her hands. "I can't, Blaise. I can't wrap my mind around it. How did this happen? Why us?"

Blaise sighed, reaching out to gently touch her shoulder. "You have always been strong, Ari. Intelligent, cunning. Those are qualities the Dark Lord values. But you are more than what he sees. You have a choice."

She quickly lifted her head, meeting his gaze with tear-filled eyes. "Do I, Blaise? Do I really have a choice? He... he has plans for me. For us. How can we fight that?"

Blaise's jaw tightened. "We need to be careful. We need to find a way to navigate this without losing ourselves. The Dark Lord may think he owns us, but we still have our minds, our wills. We need to stay strong for each other."

Aria looked away, staring out the window at the warm, morning sky. "I don't know if I'm strong enough," she whispered. "It's too much."

Blaise stood, pulling her into a firm embrace. "You are strong enough, Aria. We've faced challenges before, and we've always come through. We will find a way to survive this too."

Aria leaned onto him, taking comfort in his presence. For a moment, the fear abated, replaced by a flicker of hope. But as Blaise released her and stood to leave, the weight of her destiny settled back over her, heavier than before.

"I'll give you some time," Blaise said softly, moving towards the door. "But remember, you're not alone in this. We're in it together."

As the door closed behind him, Aria laid back onto the bed, staring up at the ornate ceiling. She tried to calm her racing thoughts, but the image of the Dark Lord's cold, calculating eyes stayed with her.