11: t h e p r o p h e c y

Please
I've been on my knees
Change the prophecy

——————————————————————

Amerie was 7 when she was diagnosed with autism. Sitting in the psychologist office that was filled with bright flicking lights that bothered Amerie intensely.

When the psychologist read out "autism spectrum disorder" and handed her Mom, Taylor and Grandma who was there for support a thick file on papers about the diagnosis, evaluation process and sheets on support and therapy, it felt like her whole life had ended. Something was missing and now she knew what it was, but it didn't feel any better it felt worse, she felt more like an outsider. She now knew she was different and she now had a name for it.

Amerie sighed thinking about the time she received her diagnosis in autism, she wanted it to change, she wanted the prophecy of her life to change. Psychologist and doctors constantly told her she wouldn't be able to do this and that without her autism and anxiety getting in the way. Amerie wanted to do everything to prove them wrong, so from a young age she hid the version of herself she was most ashamed of.

But now, Amerie was unmasked she couldn't care less about what others thought. Well at least that's what she thought.

Amerie looked down at her screen, the tears pooling in her eyes ricocheted onto her phone. The comments were calamitous and the insurmountable pain when reading them chipped away at Amerie's confidence.

Amerie was a people pleaser, a perfectionist. These infuriating comments made her realise that it was time to hide that version of herself clearly hated by many people, again. For her own safety and for others safety, she had to hide, she had to change.

⋆。 ゚☁︎。 ⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。 ⋆

"Hi Mom" Amerie said sitting down on the couch next to her Mom.

"Hey sweetie, I just had an idea for a new song so I'm just writing it down" Taylor said scribbling down her final thoughts.

"So I was thinking-..." Amerie said getting cut off by her Mom's phone wringing.

"Sorry it's Tree, won't be a moment" Taylor said.

Amerie sighed, when Tree called she knew it was something bad.

"Mhm thank you Tree, I'll make sure to talk to her, mhm yeah" Taylor said down the phone.

"Taylor are you sure your okay"

"Yeah I'm good, I'll talk later" Taylor replied before hanging up the phone.

Taylor let out a big sigh.

It hurt Taylor to see and hear about the comments about Amerie online, people were being ableist, accusing her of lying about her autism, saying she's "too pretty to be autistic", invalidating her autism.

"Amerie, we need to talk" Taylor said sitting down next the the teenager who was scrolling on her phone, probably reading things that have been said about herself.

⋆。 ゚☁︎。 ⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。 ⋆

"Mom what! You can't do that, you're not taking full control over all my social media" Amerie yelled.

"Amerie I already manage your social media, but clearly that is not enough so any posts will be posted by me on your accounts" Taylor said firmly.

"This is so not fair" Amerie mumbled.