Chapter 17

„When are we going to see you, daddy?" Willa said to the phone.

„I told you, baby. Tomorrow." Joe smiled.

„You said that yesterday!" She whined.

„I'm sorry." He sighed. „We have to finish what we started first. They won't let me go if it's not done."

„We really need you here, Joe." Ann said, biting the inside of her cheek.

„I want nothing more than to be there with you. But if I go, they'll cut the deal. I told you."

„I know, I know." Ann sighed, brushing a hand through her hair. „I just... I miss you. We miss you."

„Believe me. I miss you more. I'm all alone here."

„Joe, get your ass over here!" They heard a voice calling Joe.

„Gotta run. I love you, guys." He said, sending kissed to the camera. „I'll see you very soon."

„Bye." Ann send a kiss back and ended the call. „Come on, let's get downstairs and help grandma with the dinner."

„Yay food!" Willa shouted as she skipped from one leg to another.

„Yay food, indeed." Ann chuckled.

They walked downstairs hearing a familiar voice coming from the living room.

„How many pairs of socks did you pack?" Asked Mark as they stood with Sophie above an open suitcase.

„Ten, I think?"

„Oh, hey Ann." He smiled seeing her. „What do you think? Would ten be enough?"

„Oh no mom, pack twenty. You never know."

„Oh gosh, the hospital is not that far away, you can always drop some more for me!" She rolled her eyes.

„They're not that heavy, you can take more." Mark giggled.

„I don't even wanna know how many underwear did you pack then." Ann chuckled.

„Oh, fuck off you both!" She said, punching Mark in the arm.

„Hey, language!" Ann frowned, pointing at Willa.

„She heard worse." Sophie shrugged.

„Well... true." Ann chuckled. „But bad word Willa!"

„What word?" Willa asked.

„Fuck."

„Bad word! Fuck!" She clapped her hands.

„No! Bad word means we do not say it!" Ann pointed a finger at her, while Mark held a hand against his mouth, trying not to burst out of laughter.

„Okay, mommy! I won't say fuck!"

„Oh jeez..." Ann sighed. „What you laughing at, crazy hair?" Ann asked Mark seeing the amount of hair that was on his head.

„I know, haircut asap." He sighed.

„Want me to do it?"

„You would?" He raised his eyebrows.

„Hell yeah. My plan B was to be a hairdresser."

„Seriously?"

„Nah." She chuckled. „But I do a decent haircut."

„Well, a decent would do."

„Come on, then." Ann clapped her hands. „Mom, would you take a look at the girls? I'll just give Mark a quick haircut."

„Sure, baby, don't worry!"