Chapter 22

"Wakey-wakey." She heard a soft voice next to her.

"Five minutes." She mumbled and turned to the other side, not ready to wake up yet.

"Mommy, wake up!" Willa jumped on the bed next to her.

She opened one of her eyes, only to see the three of them standing above her with a tray. She noticed some pancakes and orange juice on there. She smiled from ear to ear as she sat up on the bed.

"Oh wow. What did I do to deserve this?"

"Just wanted to spoil you a little." Joe said with a wink.

You spoiled me enough last night, boy.

"Thank you." She smiled, caressing Willa's cheek. "That's very sweet of you."

"Okay, let's give mommy a moment to enjoy her breakfast." He said, gesturing the girls to follow them. "Join us when you're done."

She nodded and immediately dug into the, almost perfectly shaped, pancakes. She closed her eyes as the sweet taste of maple syrup filled her mouth. She could never get bored of these.

As she continued, she started to think about the previous night. They're going to have to talk about it eventually. It shouldn't have happened. Even if they both wanted it, they agreed on something.

After they went to bed, nothing more happened. They literally just cuddled and fell asleep, not saying a word about the situation. Ann wondered if he was still going to act like they didn't just fuck on the kitchen counter. It was wrong.

But it felt so good at the same time.

She finished eating and went to the bathroom that was glued to the bedroom. All her clothes were in the spare bedroom, so she just put on Joe's shirt from yesterday. She looked at herself in the mirror and sighed, trying to erase the smeared mascara from under her eyes with her hand. She put her hair in a messy bun and brushed her teeth with a spare toothbrush from Joe's drawer.

She walked to the living area with the empty tray and put it on the kitchen counter. She froze, immediately getting flashbacks from previous night.

Joe, who was washing the dishes, turned around and smirked at her.

"Did you like it?"

"What?" Ann frowned. Was this really how he's starting this conversation?

"The pancakes." He chuckled. "Did you like them?"

"Oh." Ann brushed a hand through her hair nervously. "Yes, thank you."

"Any plans for today?" He asked as he wiped his hands.

"Not really. The meeting is tomorrow, right?"

"Yeah. We still have a full day to ourselves today."

"Last day as husband and wife." Ann smiled weakly.

"Hey, don't think of it that way." He walked up and stood next to her, leaning against the infamous kitchen counter. "So, about last night..."

"Yeah, it was a mistake." Ann sighed.

Joe went silent for a moment and then looked at the floor. "Yeah, totally."

"This shouldn't have happened and it shouldn't happen in the future, right?"

"Yeah, yeah. Of course." He said, brushing his curls.

"Unless... you think otherwise?" Ann asked with a little hope in her voice.

Joe smiled softly. "I think we both... needed that. To let go of the tension. I think we're good now."

"Yeah, we're good now." Ann smiled, punching him in the arm.