Chapter 26

"And then the doors just slammed in his face!" Josh screamed, making everyone laugh.

"No way!" Nick giggled as he wiped a tear that had fallen out of his eye from the amount of laughter.

Ann smiled at everyone as they continued to have cheerful conversations over dinner. Her gaze stopped at Joe, who was the only one not laughing at Josh's story. Actually, he didn't laugh once during the whole dinner. It was weird for her to see him like that. He was always the goofy one, making everyone laugh. Here he was, lost in his own thoughts as he played with the mashed potatoes on his plate.

Ann kicked him lightly in the leg under the table, making him look up at her. He gave her a soft smile and leaned on the chair.

"Who wants a drink?" He asked.

"Finally!" Kevin clapped his hands.

He listened to everyone's order and tried to remember it, but Ann noticed him getting everything mixed up.

"Let me help you." She smiled warmly. "I'll take care of my girls. We're doing my Christmas Spritz, right?"

"Hell yeah." Pri and Danielle both said.

She waited for Joe to memorize all the boys' drinks and then followed him to the kitchen area. She opened the fridge and searched for Prosecco, but there wasn't any there.

"Shit, I forgot to bring the Prosecco from the basement." She sighed. "I gotta go get it."

"I'll come with you." He chuckled.

"No, you don't have to."

"Ann, unless you somehow magically got rid of your fear of basements, I know you won't be able to go down there." He raised one eyebrow.

"Yeah, I... You're right." She chuckled. "I tried to play it cool."

"I know you too well." He giggled, finally cheering up a little.

The basement was just next to the kitchen, so Joe approached them, wanting to be the one to lead. The light switch was down by the stairs, so they had to walk them in just the dim light from the kitchen.

"Be careful." He said, taking small steps himself.

"Whoever thought it was a great idea to put the light switch down there should rot in hell."

"Can't even count the amount of times I've almost fallen from these." Joe chuckled. "Okay..." He let out a sigh as he reached the last step and turned the switch a couple of times, looking around in confusion, because no light was appearing.

"Don't tell me..."

"Yeah, the lights not working."

"Seriously?" She threw her hands in the air. "Joe, that's how every horror movie starts!"

"Don't worry, I got you." He chuckled at her reaction. "Okay, stay here, I'll go look for it." He said and took out his phone to use a flashlight.

"Well, leaving me here alone isn't the best idea either!"

"Then come with me." He gave her a soft smile, finding it really cute how scared she was.

"Just don't even think of jumpscaring me, Jonas." She said through clenched teeth as she hid behind his back.

"I won't. Promise." He laughed.

They walked around the basement, Joe flashing every shelf and corner for the Prosecco. Ann was clenching onto his shirt her face buried in it.

"You don't know where he put it?" Joe asked.

"I have no idea."

"Well, can you help me look?" He turned around, flashing the light on her face, making her almost go blind.