Chapter 21

„Yeah, we just landed."

„Oh good. How was the flight?" Sophie asked.

„Good, good. How are you feeling?"

„Oh, you know, same old, same old. But Pri is taking really good care of me." She smiled through the phone.

Sophie was now recovering at home. She was feeling good, despite being in the coma for so long. Her only problem was the pain in her head, but she was given strong medication for that, which helped for some time. She slept a lot and barely left her bed. She was weak and needed assistance in basic tasks. That's why Ann was really grateful for Priyanka to take care of her mom for a couple of days.

In the meantime, it was time for Ann and Joe to finalize all the paperwork.

„Oh, wait, I see Joe. I'll call you later, okay? Bye bye." She send kisses to the phone.

„Say hello to him from me!" She waved at the camera with a huge smile.

Ann didn't tell Sophie about the divorce yet. Maybe it was bad, but she felt that she was in no condition to learn such hurtful news. Ann knew she would be devastated and it's the last thing she needed at that moment.

„Hello, princesses!" Joe squated, so Willa could jump in his arms. Delphine was reaching out her little hands towards him as well, so he took her from Ann.

„Hey." Ann smiled, standing awkwardly in front of him.

„Hey, you." He smiled back.

They stood like that for a while. She didn't know what to do. Normally she would jump in his arms, making them fall on the floor in the middle of the airport and kiss the hell out of him. That seemed a little inappropriate now, considering their situation.

„I'll... go look for our suitcases." She smiled awkwardly and quickly ran away from them. „Shit." She whispered with a sigh.

She knew it was going to be awkward. But she didn't expect it to be this awkward. She's going to need some time to get used to this new reality.

She noticed her two suitcases and quickly grabbed them, going back to Joe who was laughing at something Willa said.

„Ok, got them, we can go."

„Do you need help?" He asked.

„No, you take the girls, I'll take the bags. They're not that heavy."

They made their way outside of the airport and Ann followed Joe as he guided them through the parking lot full of cars. They reached a black suv, but Ann didn't notice any driver waiting for them by the wheel.

„You're driving?" Ann raised her eyebrows.

„Yeah. I'm trying to live as normal as I can lately." He smiled as he packed the bags in the truck.

„You go, Joe-Joe." She chuckled.

They drove in an awkward silence, both of them not really knowing how to start the conversation. Ann stared out of the window, watching the passing buildings and people.

She still hated that city. She knew she would never get used to living there. Joe on the other hand found his home. Not surprising, considering his life is a constant run. He fitted perfectly.

Once they reached Joe's apartment the girls ran to his terrace where Joe set up a bouncy castle for them.

"Wow." Ann raised her eyebrows. "You came prepared."

"I just want them to have a distraction." He smiled weakly.

"You know we'll have to tell them at some point." She sighed.