Chapter 40

T/N: Flashback ended. This chapter resumes with the elevator scene from Chapter 4. In instances where Older and Younger is used, Older ZhouXiang is referring to ZhouXiang before rebirth. Younger ZhouXiang is after rebirth.

[ELEVATOR SCENE FROM CHAPTER 4 RESUMES]

All the things that happened in the past are like horses racing by one after another in ZhouXiang’s mind. One can’t blame him for remembering it too clearly. After all, to him, all these things have only occurred very recently. His heart still throbbed erratically for YanMingXiu’s each and every move. When YanMingXiu grabbed his arm, he felt his breathing stopped.

Could it be that he could recognize him?

That’s impossible… Everyone thought that he is dead. How could YanMingXiu have known that he had awakened in someone else’s body?

YanMingXiu stared intensely at ZhouXiang’s face. This person is a complete stranger to him, seemingly ordinary with nothing distinctive. YanMingXiu can’t even remember where he had seen this person. But when he stared into this person’s eyes as they brushed past each other, he felt his heart indescribably pounding fiercely.

This gripping pain in his heart made him suddenly feel completely at loss on what to do. He instinctively grabbed onto this person, wanting to know why.

ZhouXiang exerted all his energy to remain calm on the surface. Maintaining his composure, he asked softly, “Mister, is something the matter?”

YanMingXiu stared dazedly. What is really wrong with him?

YanMingXiu still wanted to ask who he is but he can’t really ask. They’ve never met before. This question is even more baseless. How can people answer?

ZhouXiang nodded at him and slowly pulled his arm out of his hand.

YanMingXiu kept looking at him; the arm in his hand is very thin. Although this person’s body’s frame is not small but he’s too thin and appeared sickly.

No matter how he looked at him (ZhouXiang), there was nothing worthy for him to take notice.

When ZhouXiang turned around and headed toward the elevator, YanMingXiu suddenly realized that this person’s back silhouette is a bit like ‘him(t/n)’, but he is far too thin, so thin that he looks a bit deformed (thin like a broomstick).

T/N: The ‘him’ here is referring to older ZhouXiang.

Could it be that this is the reason why he felt this sense of familiarity?

YanMingXiu’s heart can’t suppress itself from beating erratically.

ZhouXiang calmly walked into the elevator.

When the elevator doors slowly closed, ZhouXiang looked up and sees YanMingXiu looking closely at him.

Their gazes once again collided in the air, but the elevator door quickly closed.

Once the elevator door closed, ZhouXiang felt his legs going soft. He held onto the elevator wall with his hand supporting his body. This shocking impact of seeing YanMingXiu again is too immense. Although he has completely different face now, under YanMingXiu’s gaze, he still has the feeling that there is no place to hide, as if he is completely naked.

He never… never again wanted to have anything to do with YanMingXiu.

God had given him a second life. It’s not for him to get himself immersed back in into the mistakes and complicated mess from his previous life but for him to live a new life. This secret must not be discovered by YanMingXiu.