Reunited - Heewon

"Papa, I've been good this year, please can I have this?" Yeun whined to Jungwon, coming into the living room with her laptop in hand.

Jungwon and his boyfriend had been three months into their freshman year of college when they'd found a baby by the side of the road. They'd taken her in and raised her for a year, until his boyfriend dropped out to do music. As much as Jungwon loved him and missed him, he respected his choices and let him leave. He'd promised to take care of Yeun for him, while his boyfriend left with a promise to find them again someday.

Now 13, nearly 14, years later, Yeun was a music obsessed teenager.

"What did you find?" Jungwon asked, holding his hand out for the laptop.

"You said you'd take me and my friend Mae to our first concert for our birthday, and look, with this music festival, if you buy a week pass then split it by seven, you're actually paying less per day than seperate tickets!" she explained excitedly, pointing at the screen, "And look! It'd be all my favorite artists, like Seventeen, Stray Kids, Enhypen, Ateez, txt, Sabrina Carpenter, Tate McRae, so on!"

"Okay... I've heard you talk about all of these, except Enhypen. Who are they?"

"They're this band I've become obsessed with recently! Look, if you scroll up, there's a picture of them!"

Jungwon scrolled up, to find a picture of a group of 6 men, all looking to be around his age. One in particular caught his attention. Heeseung. His boyfriend. 'So this is what you've been up to, huh?' he thought.

"Papa, I know you're gay and lonely but these are literal celebrities! And number one rule of being a music fan, never fall in love with the artists!"

'Bit too late for that' Jungwon thought.

"Hello?? Earth to Papa??"

"Oh right. Sorry. Are you sure? Music festivals don't have any seating, and you're not allowed to camp out on a picnic blanket in front of the stages. I know txt are having a concert in an actual arena in a few months. Are you still sure?"

"Yes I am! I can handle it, Papa!"

"Alright, you can go. I'm gonna need to cash in that cheque first."

"Oh the mystery cheque! Can you please finally tell me who it's from??"

"No, not until you're 18."

"I'm nearly 14! That's only like 4 years away! Please!"

"Nope."

'The mystery cheque' is the name Yeun gave to a cheque that showed up in the mail three months ago. It came with a letter that said, 'I got quite a significant sum of cash in my paycheck this month. Here's half of it. Spend it on yourself or Yeun. I'm still coming back, don't worry'.

Although they were quite well off, Jungwon had just bought a new car and couldn't afford to spend so much on a music festival, so the cheque was the best way to go. And it would be spending on himself and Yeun.

"You coming with me? Or are you going to stay at home?" Jungwon asked her.

"Where are you going, Papa?"

"To cash the cheque. And quick, so we can get that pass before it sells."

"Ooh yay! I'm coming with!"

"Shoes and in the car in 5."

...

"Papa, how much is that cheque for?? We've spent at least two hours chatting to that guy," Yeun spoke to Jungwon as a few employees discussed the cheque in shock.