~40~

It was finally later that evening. All the guests from around the city were arriving and downstairs -eating, drinking, having a good time while I got ready upstairs to make my appearance. 

My handmaids make final adjustments to my dress and finish the curls the cascaded down my back.

"You look amazing, Your Grace", Cora smiles. She unboxes my shoes at the table.

"You think so?", I ask.

"Absolutely!", she answers.

"I believe I just witnessed St. Johnson and Master Chief's ship land. I have men on guard and he's brought along a small 1/4 of his own men. How are things in here-"

Cora finishes putting my other heel on and I turn around to my Father. I smile and shrug, crossing my hands in front of me.

"What do you think?", I raise an eyebrow.

He shuffles his feet  in thought and smiles as he shakes his head.

" My Daughter, you are absolutely stunning tonight", he says. "They're waiting for you downstairs. Whenever your ready, I shall greet you at the bottom of the stairwell."

"I'll see you there", I nod.

He grabs a handful of shot glasses off of a cart and walks one over to me before handing one to my Mother.

I take hold of one and clink it against their's before throwing it back.

We whistle at it's harshness and I laugh.

"Happy Birthday, agapi mou", he says before kissing my temple.

    He turns to my Mother, offers her his arm and kisses her cheek before escorting her. She giggles and waves to me. I return the gesture and the handmaids follow them out. The door closes and I release a deep breath.

"I can't breathe", I admit.

"But you look amazing. Everything will be just fine, Your Grace", Cora assures me. I nod back. She sends me one last smile of encouragement before closing the door.

 I pick my fingernails nervously then stop as I was about to ruin the mani I had recieved earlier. I sigh deeply, grasping another shot glass off the cart and tipping it back. My eyes close and I feel myself finally relax. then force an exhale out before nodding to myself that everything would be fine tonight.

When I finally turn to the mirror I hardly recognize myself in it.

My face was usually dirty, covered in scratches and ash- or blood from fighting

My face was usually dirty, covered in scratches and ash- or blood from fighting. I usually sported a Jedi uniform but tonight in it's was this beautiful purple gown. I felt like a normal teenage girl and not a General's soldier.

And I enjoyed it.

I really, actually felt beautiful.

I crack a smile at myself, raising my hands to cover my mouth. My hands fall to my sides and I give myself a nod.

I close my eyes to take a deep breath when a knock on the other side of the door interrupts my thoughts.

"Come in", I call out as I sip what was left in my cup.

Cora reenters the room and closes it behind her. 

"I'm sorry, Your Highness. We thought all your presents were already downstairs, but this last one came for you just now", Cora says as she walks over.

I turn to see her hand me a small box with a piece of parchment tied to it.

As I take it from her and open the note.

"I was'nt sure what to give a Princess who already has everything, but hopefully you won't have one of these. I hope for it to bring you good fortune", I read aloud.

My eyebrows knit together as I turn it over to look for a name or anything to tell me where it was from, but found nothing.

I handed it to Cora who looks it over as I untie the box and open it. I then pull out a necklace on a leather cord, a japor snippet with beautiful, carefully carved symbols and lines sits at the end of it. 

I smile, setting the box down on the table besides me.

"No name?", I ask as I look it over.

"No, just-'I hope for it to bring you good fortune'. That's it", she shrugs and hands me the note again.

As I look it over, I do not recognize the penmanship of anyone I know.

My eyes jump around the room in thought. 

"Would you mind?", I ask as I hand her the necklace.

She takes it from me and lifts it over my head, adjusts it to size.

I look at it in the mirror and tilt my head at it.

The door to the room opens and a guard pokes his head in.

"Princess? Their ready for you in the ballroom", he states.