~43~

A few minutes later, we are pulling our clothes back on. I fix my hair in the mirror and reapply my lipstick as he gets back into his dress shirt.

We had been linking up all summer, so this was nothing new. But I definitely was'nt expecting him tonight.

 The first time I had met Vito, I saved him from a group of jackals who had taken him prisoner. The UNSC had made contact with the Republic a few years ago and he came as one of the negotiators asking the Republic for help when he was caught.

The Flood was going planet to planet glassing them to find what they needed. I often wondered if it had something to do with  the ring I had just discovered recently.

He had made several trips to assist our army in bigger battles we could'nt cover and was a very skilled fighter. We clicked and have made plans to see each other here since, but kept it under wraps so no one knew.

      Releasing a breath, I set my brush down and lean on the vanity.

"How long are you allowed to stay this time?", I ask, turning to him.

He shrugs his cloak on and walks around the bed,"Only a couple days.''

"You should go before my Father senses you. Then we're really screwed", I snicker.

"I'd die happily", he smiles and laces his fingers with mine.

"Sooo, I'll get to see you at least one more time before I leave?", I smile and walk over to him.

"Your leaving?", he tilts his head. I shrug.

"My Father wants us to go back home for a while until things settle a bit. Rest assured, were never far from war. And I'm against it-the last thing I want to do is leave my people in a time of need. When their scared the most of who or what may come tomorrow", I say.

He looks me over and smiles. He sighs and straightens.

"What if you came with me?", he suggests.

"I can't just run away. The war will find me wherever I go, Vito. I wish it was that easy, but-"

"Once Chief finds the ring, he'll destroy it and you won't have to worry about anything besides taking up your thrown", he smiles slyly. My face drops and he begun stalking toward me with a different meaning.

I furrow my brows and take a step back, he follows.

"What are you talking about Vito?", I ask.

"Now's not the time to play dumb, Nova. We both know you are'nt. And we both know you know exactly what I'm talking about, too", he nods." There's been a lot of talk around the city. Just know the dark side is always watching...even when you think we are'nt", he smirks.

My heart drops into my stomach. I throw a glance over his shoulder at my lightsaber sitting on the nightstand beside my bed and cuss myself out internally.

" That's why you came here tonight? For insight?", I grit my teeth."How fucking dare you."

"No! I wanted to wish you Happy Birthday, Nova", he smiles devilishly. We circle one another and I make it inch by inch toward my weapon.

"Look, if you know where it is, just give it to me", he shrugs."That way I don't have to hurt you, Nova. Because I really don't want to-"

"I don't know what your talking about!", I yell as my back hits the wall. I grit my teeth."And even if I did it does'nt matter. You've already hurt me."

         I stop with my back to my nightstand a few feet away.
"Go to hell, Vito", I glare.

He chuckles and shakes his head at the floor before looking back up to me.

"Happy Birthday, Nova", he nods eerily. It's silent for a few seconds, it feels like hours. The air between us is still.

He jumps across the room before I can ignite my lightsaber and kicks me into the wall.

I crumple to the floor but push myself up to ignite my lightsaber. When I swing, he moves and grabs my neck to counter strike-pinning me to the wall. He adds his other hand and I feel my neck begin to close up.

I grit my teeth, gather whatever strength I have left and shove him across the room. When he goes, he ripped my necklace off my throat and it clatters to the floor. 

      I immediately come after him and throw my saber towards his neck, but he stops it and throws it across the room. It switches off and rolls across the floor.

        As I go to dive for it, it feels like every bone in my body is twisting and snapping all at once. I can do nothing but let a guttural scream out as I fall to the floor. I could'nt move or speak just scream. 

His hand is extended as he controls the pain level and gets closer. When he's close enough, he back hands me so hard I fall face first into the floor.

I'm choking and gasping for breath, grabbing the floor to force myself to sit up but I could'nt and fell back down. He walks over and takes my lightsaber when I'm inches from it. He stashes it in his cloak and kneels down to me.

"You should've just told me where it is", he mutters.
I spit blood at his face,"Fuck you."

He stands angrily and wipes his face with his sleeve. My vision is blurry as I look around for some other kind of weapon, but found nothing. I see my necklace next to me, and push myself to grab it right before he grabbed my ankle and began dragging me off somewhere.