Chapter FiveTeen

"You're a dumbass."

"Excuse me?"

"You know me better than most and you think we'd be good together," You scoffed, shaking your head with wide eyes, and refusing to believe this, "We'd destroy each other and I'm..." You trailed off with a dark chuckle before adding, "Damaged goods."

He looked genuinely hurt, but you couldn't tell if it was because you weren't reciprocating or because you called yourself damaged and that honestly made everything worse.

You liked the golden boy but getting into something like that with anyone would only end badly. He'd never be able to get passed everything you've done, and you were so tired of apologizing for who you were. Maybe you are changing, being around good people and doing good for the world might've had a bigger influence on you than you had originally thought, but that doesn't mean you haven't lived a life full of bad.

You checked the time on your phone and realized you couldn't wait around for him to realize the two of you weren't right for each other.

"I need to go."

"I knew it," He mumbled to himself before adding louder, "Where?"

"You know I can't really tell you that."

"Well, you're gonna have to," His tone was authoritarian and frustrated, "So, what do I have to do for that to happen?"

"In the next forty-eight hours, I get full immunity."

The answer you gave immediately made him sigh and then shrugged before telling you,

"Only if you don't commit any more crimes and you tell me everything," He made sure the deal was clear, "If I find out you lied, I get to personally turn you in."

"And here I thought you liked me, Rogers."

"That's..." He waved it off, growing flustered as you smirked, "Got nothing to do with this."

"I need to meet a friend who's keeping something safe for me," You told him urgently, knowing you needed to leave in minutes if you were going to be on time, "And I'm kinda stuck because I know he won't give it up easily, but I just..." You trailed off, knowing by the texts you've been receiving from Mozzy that this situation was messier than he let on, and trying to explain it was frustrating you.

"You mean Theodore Winters?" He asked quietly, not trying to overwhelm you more than you already were, but then regretted it when your eyes snapped to his.

"How do you know that name?"

He pursed his lips, knowing that was a bad move to make by the way you were looking at him. And he was right because there's only one way he would know Mozzy's real name and that's if-

"SHIELD ran his face when they spotted you talking to him."

So, even on your days off they were following you.

You sat down on the bed, darting your eyes across the floor, and trying to piece everything together. You knew that if any agency ran his name, he'd know because he receives a notification, and it basically alerts him it's time to pack up and leave. But he hasn't left yet or led you to believe it's your fault he would have to. Instead, he's been trying to get you to visit your brother, get him out of the safe house, and he's still working on cracking your anklet.

"That's it." You whispered to yourself and Steve was worried, so he came over and crouched down in front of where you sat, but you barely met his eyes.

"Y/n, what's it?" He asked softly, placing a hand on your knee in concern, and trying to get your attention, "What's going on?"