Chap Two

"Can I at least take my gloves off?"

You looked up at him pleadingly and he sighed before nodding, so you slowly took them off finger by finger, not making any sudden moves that might warrant this man to shoot you.

The blonde one you thought looked familiar was still out in the hall on the phone, but you knew the call was going to be quick, so you needed to think fast.

"I'm Juliet by the way." You lied as you held out your left hand so he could use his free one to shake it and he took the bait.

His eyes widened to saucers and you smirked as he turned the gun on himself. You walked around to the side of him just as the blonde came through the door, stopping short when he noticed his friend had a gun to his head.

"I'm leaving," You told him firmly, "Don't try anything stupid."

"Looks like Fury was right," The blonde sighed, looking at his friend, and then back to you, "Okay, just don't hurt him."

You took the gun from where he had it pressed against his own temple and switched it to aim at the blonde as you backed up out of the apartment with your backpack.

You knew as soon as you turned, they'd come after you, so you made a few different moves down the hallway, opening the emergency exit door so the alarm would blare, but then going down the regular stairs instead. Once out on the street, it was much easier to disappear into the crowd and you quickly made your way into a small café, needing to sit down and learn your new identity before you could officially flee.

"Alex Hunter..." You mumbled to yourself, "French citizen..."

The picture was spot on, but he made you younger than you were and the eye color just a little off, but nobody could really tell from the low-quality photo. You nodded to yourself and then something caught your eye out the window, and it was a couple of police officers strolling down the sidewalk. You prayed they would keep walking, but to your own terrible luck, they turned into the café.

"I mean, Gina had to birth the baby, the least I can do is clean up afta it, right?"

"She goin' back to school?"

"Yeah, this fall, she's real excited," The first one was saying as they made their way to the counter, "But she's nervous cause of the newborn and I keep tellin' her I got it, or we can get help."

"On your salary? Keep dreamin', pal."

They started laughing and then ordered, but you kept your back to them, tightening your hood over your head and then you slowly packed up your stuff. You got up to leave, but the chair was heavier than you anticipated, and it scraped across the floor, drawing their attentions as you cringed.

"Excuse me, miss?"

You froze on the spot when one of the officers spoke in your direction and waited for them to continue because you were afraid of bolting out the door, confirming what they might've only suspected.

"Hm?" You responded instead, your eyes still closed, and your breathing shallow.

"You dropped this."

You glanced behind you only a bit, keeping your head slanted down, where he was holding out your wallet and you took it carefully.

"Thanks." You muttered before quickly making your way out of the café, finally being able to breathe properly when you rounded the corner.

You flagged down a taxi, not risking a more public way of transportation to the airport and hunkered down in the back as it drove there.

Everything seemed to act out in slow motion once you arrived. It felt like a scene in a movie how the SWAT team lined the building and you couldn't believe the FBI could pull these many resources this quickly. So, you paid the driver to keep going, and didn't miss the look of suspicion he shot you in the mirror when you said that. You'd have to think of another plan, and you didn't hesitate before telling him to go to the pier.